Memories of the rainy night

They often wondered how did it happen. 

All the feelings they had were gone. 

Were they? 

 The whole thing was pretty simple. They were not allowed to have feelings towards each other. They were not allowed to love each other. 

They just weren't meant to be. 

Well, they weren't born with the thought of the other one. During the first time they met, they also didn't expect anything. 

 But they knew all along that doing something out of their way would only end in pain. 

They knew. 

So how did it happen? 

 Aoandon was looking at the pouring rain through the window. Crystalline droplets were falling down with such a strenght that leaves were bowing down. 

Seems like Ame Onna* was crying again. 

It somehow felt nostalgic. Silent room, only the sound of rain outside, incense smoke nonchalantly diffusing in the air. And only the two of them. 

But the other part has changed. 

He wasn't by her side anymore. And she couldn't even dream to meet him again. Now she had a master. No... she always had him. But now everything was different. 

Because she made a mistake. 

And yet she couldn't bring herself to regret it. 

 "What's wrong Ao? You're being awfully quiet~" man sitting beside her said, and instantly lifted his hand just to put it on her cheek. He slided it down to her lips, and then down her neck to her arm. 

Even though his skin was warm, it still gave her small goosebumps. 

A small smirk crossed male's lips, and just then he pushed her down to the floor, putting himself on top of her. 

"I wish you would start telling more. About everything. Aren't I your master? Why won't you stop being so stubborn?" 

Aoandon frowned. 

"I am not obligated to tell you everything, am I?" 

"Ho~? I like this expression. Let me guess... is it a man? Precisely, THAT man~?" He chuckled, leaning down a bit to her neck. She could feel his breath on her skin. "Are you angry because you're not the one he chose? Because there's someone else by his side? Or maybe---" 

She couldn't bear to listen that anymore. She pushed him away before he was done, and got up from the floor. 

"I'm going back to my room, master Kagezaki. Please don't bother yourself with me tonight. I'm not in the mood for your games." 

Slowly, with a grace and dignity she walked to the door and passed it, but as soon as it closed, she started running back to her room. 

Entering was almost a one move. She pushed the door, forcing it to close by itself, and fell on futon, hiding her face completely. 

Stopping tears was so hard. Especially that all this hurt so much. 

And no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't change anything. By herself she was powerless. And he was too pride and loyal to his blood. 

 Aoandon wished to be outside at that moment. Rain would hide all her tears. But she shouldn't... 

"Don't stand in rain like that if you don't want to catch a cold. Tch, that would be troublesome. We would be unable to meet for some time then." 

Those words reverberated in her head. He was the one that said them. He would always show his care through his words, even though it was a bit sloppy, she felt his feelings. 

After a moment of observing rain, she slowly stood up and stepped outside. A few more steps and she was standing under the open sky. It didn't take much time to make her drenched completely. 

Her face turned up. Rain mixed with tears on her face as planned. She fell into a deep thought, feeling calmer already. 

She was brought back to reality after a moment, by a sudden, loud rustle of leaves. Ah, it was just a cat. 

He wasn't there. 

He wouldn't be there. 

He has no reason to, right? 

Female sighed and turn to go back inside, when something caught her eye. Something black under the tree. 

 'Impossible' she thought, but grabbed it anyway. 

It was a feather. Too big to belong to any of the birds from this area. Moreover, it was a unique feather. It was black with a tinge of gold at ends. 

She had already seen a feather like that. 

Feather of the Great Tengu. 

Memories hit her again like a typhoon. 

Tears rolled down her cheeks once again, her legs became weak all of a sudden. She knelt down, holding the feather tightly, close to her. 

It wasn't even that wet yet. So it fell not so long ago. 

Why... why was it here? 

 Why was He here...? 

If not a sudden storm, her loud wailing would be heard. 

Was it him again? Was he sympathizing with her? 

 No... it wasn't that simple. 

The storm was the cry of his heart. The cry of the heart that was forbidden to cry.

*Ame Onna is a Rain Woman