Victory?

Chapter 13 Victory?

(Narrator)

Slowking and Tropius stared in shock at the dead pile of sludge that remained. No one could believe that Quagsire had just killed Muk in cold blood.

Mewtwo, however, was obviously desensitized to any more homicides.

"Well, seeing that all 3 of you are in the same place, let me not hinder your carnage by expanding the battleground. Just to let you Pokemon know, the murderer is still at large... But the question is: 'For how long?'"

The walls of the rooms collapsed. The area was replaced with a wide square arena, but with purple laser beams acting as a barrier, preventing any escape.

Slowking, still reeling from shock, stammered: "Quagsire…. So it was you! You heartless murderer!"

"Slowking, let me assist you in finishing off this evil fiend!" Tropius chimed in.

Quagsire shook his head frantically. He communicated with Mewtwo telepathically.

"Mewtwo, please translate my thoughts to the Pokemon."

"Very well. I have given you a temporary ability to speak." Mewtwo's voice echoed through the arena. "Quagsire has some words for you Pokemon. I have granted him a speech ability. Do listen to what he has to say."

"Thanks Mewtwo." Quagsire spoke. "Sigh... it feels so good to speak for the first time in my life!" Quagsire continued: "Slowking, you have to trust me. This is my plan to capture the murderer! You must first understand that originally, the murderer could only be Muk or Tropius."

Slowking was unconvinced: "How can you be sure that it is not me? Or YOU?" Slowking replied.

"Because I trust you!" Quagsire was visibly hurt. "How can you not trust me? By killing Muk, since Mewtwo has not declared our victory, it proves that Tropius is the murderer! You know it yourself! You aren't the murderer, and I ain't one either! So, if we accuse Tropius now, we win!"

Slowking pondered over Quagsire's words…

(Slowking's POV)

Logically, it wouldn't make any sense. Quagsire did not even answer the question on how he couldn't be the murderer. After all, he just killed Muk for no reason. Or rather his reason is totally absurd. There is no way anyone can prove who is the murderer.

On the other hand, Quagsire's action was based on pure belief that we are innocent. Can I believe his intentions? Or is he using our friendship to manipulate my thoughts. For one thing, if Tropius dies an innocent death, the only survivor would be me. Which under Mewtwo's rules, I lose, and lose my life.

It all boils down to whether I trust Quagsire or not. I realise there is no point trying to gather any evidence anymore. None of the evidence gathered over the murders make any sense. A case in point would be the death of Ambipom. The charred remains don't seem to have any link to the murderer involved. Well, of course there is a link because the murderer is standing before me I cannot see the connection. A Grass type and a Water type. Who can cause a fire?

Emotions tugged at me. After such a close and long friendship, I shouldn't be doubting Quagsire anymore. Accusing him is definitely not the way to repay his kindness. After all, even if Quagsire is the murderer, I as a friend should try to allow him to live. Tropius may die for no reason, but then, the odds are even. To let Quagsire live, even if I die due to a wrong decision, I know it isn't my fault.

Therefore, I cleared my throat, and spoke: "I believe you Quagsire. Tropius, I am sorry."

"Therefore, I accuse…" Before I could complete my sentence, an emerald Energy ball was sent directly into Quagsire's heart. Quagsire flinched, then staggered, then tumbled to the ground.