23. HEGIRA (Before X-Files Episode: Nothing important happened today I.)

Mulder was making breakfast while I was feeding William in the kitchen's chair.

"Can I be dressed as Elvis?"
"No."

"Can someone dressed as Elvis marry us?"

"No."

"Can I play Elvis music?"

"No."

"Oh come on Scully, one little Elvis thing, just one. It's going to be the most special day of my life," he said batting his eyelashes. He placed the dishes in front of me. Baby William was done feeding I put him on the bassinet next to my seat and drank my orange juice. I thought about it. What will look less embarrassing twenty years from now?

"Okay...You can wear an Elvis tie. Just that." I said, Mulder pouted.

"Mulder,we are trying to make this marriage a secret, drawing attention to yourself will defeat the purpose." He took a bite of toast, while he mumbled between his teeth. The door bell rang. He got up to open it.

"I knew you were going to be a party-pooper wife..." I playfully throw a pillow at him. He turned around to pick it up when the door exploded open. Billy Miles went through it and threw a punch on Mulder's chest. His heart was on his hand in second, a bloody pulp still beating. He immediately beheaded him and left.

"Mulder! No!" I went to him, but by the time I held him his face was rotten with worms, flies and maggots. Putrid in my hands with all his limbs dissolving. I woke up screaming.

"Mulder!" He was next to me.

"Scully what is wrong?" He said. I held onto him.

"Oh Mulder...It was so real..." The drops from my eyes were falling thick and heavy. I cried like I cried when I found him dead on that field not long ago.

"It's okay...It was just a nightmare." He held me, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he was in danger. I heard the door ringing.

"Do you expect company?" He asked. It was Sunday morning I normally go to church so no one that knows me visits me this early and I doubted the news of Mulder moving with us was going to be known already so people will look for him here. Mulder got my extra gun on his hand ready to go off. I got mine and took the baby with me.Praying this was not my dream becoming true.

"Who is it?" Mulder said.

"Is Deputy Director Kersh...Please open up. We don't have much time." I sat down and put my gun next to me and William's bassinet on top of it. Mulder put his behind him. Mulder opened the door.

"If you are bringing a present we will need a stroller soon." Kersh was not looking good. He was always stoic, but his face was sweaty and you could see that he hasn't been sleeping. I also know he as a policy of never visiting the residency of any of the agents under him. This couldn't be good. My heart was beating three times as fast. He closed the door behind him, not before peering out, to make sure no one was coming behind him.

"Agent Mulder, Agent Scully...I guess congratulations are in order. May I sit?" Mulder crossed his arms. He was never fond of him. I offered him the coach.

"I know in the past we have had our differences. But I was never doing anything I didn't feel it was my duty to the FBI.... Because at the time I perceived they were a threat to the integrity of the institution." He stopped and clear his throat.

"I never wished ill to any of you agents. I thought the FBI methods were incorruptible. But I've been proven wrong in the worst possible way." He looked at my sleeping child. Compassion filling his face.

"Please can you just spit it out?" I said before Mulder told him all I could see on his face he was thinking. Kersh gave Mulder a folder. He opened and check it out quickly.