Chapter Twenty Nine♥

"Are you warm enough?"

Jared's hand was poised over the dial that controlled the heating; his eyes still fixed on the winding roads ahead as he turned it up. Warm air kissed my face and I huddled further into the seat, the fluffy collar of my coat tickling my cheek in the process.

"Yeah, I'm good thanks." I smiled at him.

He nodded; his lips quirking up in a smile as he readjusted his position in the driving seat. He had picked me up half an hour ago; claiming that my stripey dress, tights and boots would be suitable for our mystery date. It was just beginning to go dark and I was beginning to worry that Jared's idea of a date would be hiking up a mountain for fun. I hope Jared knew how unfit I was; not to mention how uncoordinated I would be in the dark.

"So where are you taking me exactly?" I questioned curiously.

Jared shook his head and smiled conspiratorially, "So impatient."

"Can you blame me? You're so elusive." I teased, narrowing my eyes at the laughing boy.

"Elusive?" Jared repeated with mock shock, "Sounds sexy."

I rolled my eyes, "Shut up."

He only laughed as I turned up the music so that it surrounded the car, enclosing us in it's beautiful sound. It was a band I had never heard of, but I liked it. Jared always surprised me with his music taste.

"So about the other night..." Jared reached up and scratched his face sheepishly, "I'm sorry about the way I acted; I shouldn't have gotten so angry, and the speeding-" He trailed off, his eyes fixed on the road for a moment before he reached for my hand, "I don't ever want to make you scared like that again."

His apology warmed my heart; I was so happy he had bought it up. It had been playing on my mind. I squeezed his hand, "I'm sorry for slapping you, I was just so scared, I didn't think I would ever-"

"Hey," Jared interrupted, "It's fine, we were both dicks."

I laughed at his choice of words, "I guess that's one way to say it."

We fell into easy conversation then; discussing our impending doom of mock exams, disagreeing on our favourite films and him giving me clues about where we were going.

"We're nearly there!" He reassured me.

"Please tell me this isn't the part where I find out you're actually a serial killer and you're taking me to your secret murder lair?" I teased playfully.

He rolled his eyes, "Oh no, you've foiled my master plan."

He pulled into a car park onto the right that I had failed to notice because it was surrounded by thick trees. I edged forward in my seat so I could peer past Jared as he tried to find a parking space. A diner was centered in the middle of the car park, a small metallic building with a large neon sign reading 'J's Diner' . I could barely conceal my excitement; I had always loved the idea of cheesy old fashioned American Diners; I had always loved seeing them in films such as Grease.

"I remember you saying you had always wanted to go to an American diner." Jared said after he had parked the car, "I spoke to my Mum about it and she said it was pretty good," He chuckled and shook his head, "and knowing my Mum's standards the food is probably amazing."

"I can't wait to try those milkshakes!" I squealed in excitement.

Jared grinned, Let's go then."

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

"Hello, welcome to J's Diner." A chirpy waitress greeted us when we stepped inside. She was dressed in a yellow dress with a red apron and cap.