fourteen

Cheater ((14))

The tour was done. Now, all gathered in the lobby of Tristan's building, James groans, backpack slung over his shoulder.

"Do I have to go?"

"Yes," Connor answers, arms crossed over his chest. "It's for a week. And your cousin isn't that bad."

"He really is."

"Come on," Bradley speaks next, beside Tristan. Of course. "You'll have a great time during family week."

"Oh, yeah," James mutters sarcastically. "I mean, spending time with my family for a week is fine. But now that I have to share a room with my cousin for a whole seven days? Sounds like an amazing time."

"Just go," Tristan speaks, laughing. "Isn't he waiting outside for you? Don't want him to be mad at you."

"'Cause I totally care if he's mad."

"Geez, James, just get out of here," Connor finally convinces him, and after hugging each of the boys in turn, he waves and exits the building. When James and his cousin drive away, James fake clawing at the window, Connor shakes his head at his friend. "Okay. Well I should probably go meet my family now. Considering its family week and all. I'll see you guys in a few days."

"Have a good week, Con," Bradley says, giving him a quick hug.

"Have fun," Tristan follows up with, and Connor smiles at the two of them.

"Bye, guys."

And then Connor was gone as well, and it was just Tristan and Bradley.

"What are you doing for family week?" Tristan asks, leaving against the wall.

"Uh, nothing. My family is on vacation this week, so I was just gonna bring Jesse up to my parents house and hangout alone for the week." Brad replies. "What about you?"

"My family is on vacation too, actually. They apologized so many times and told me they'd cancel, but I convinced them it was fine. They'd been planning it for a long time anyways. And it's just one week, right?"

"Yeah," Bradley agrees. "Okay, well I should go feed Jesse. So I'll see you later."

"Wait," Tristan says, unsure of what to say next. When he does talk, he surprises himself. "Why don't you stay with me for the week?"

"Huh?"

"Well both of our families are gone, and it's family week, so we should spend time with someone. You could just stay at mine."

"What about Jess?" Bradley kind of stuttered, just as surprised at the invitation as Tristan was.

"She can come. I love dogs."

"Are you...are you sure? That you want company all week?"

"Of course I'm sure. I don't really want to be alone for the week, that's for sure. I mean, if you don't want to, it's totally cool. Just an idea."

"A great idea," Bradley agrees, and the blonde is flooded with relief, glad he didn't just completely make a fool out of himself. "I'm just gonna head home to pack my bag and get Jesse. I'll be back soon, though."

"See you later," Tristan says, and while Bradley leaves the lobby, the twenty-one-year-old steps into the open, elevator, a couple having just exited.

When the doors to the confined space shut, he presses his floor number and leans against the wall just as his phone begins to ring.

"Hello?"

"Baby," even the shrill, annoying voice of Jules can't ruin his happy mood. Wait, Tris thinks, eyebrows furrowed. When did my girlfriend become annoying to me? "Hey, baby!"