Five.

...

"Good morning, Sky," my mom says as I enter the kitchen.  She looks up from her book with a bright smile on her face.  She's already dressed and has put on makeup and is currently sitting on the small window seat over looking the street below.

"Hey," I smile as I sit down at the counter on a tall stool.  "Where are you going?"

"I have a bit of running around to do today," she tells me as she puts down her book and stands up.  "Would you like to come?"

"No thanks, I'm exhausted and extremely jet lagged," I say and she laughs when I let out a loud yawn.

"Okay, well have a good day, honey.  Jessica is in her room if you want to go talk to her," she says with a smile and leaves the kitchen.

Moments later I hear the door shut and the air in the condo is still and silent.  The only noise is the muffled car horns, birds and the busy New York streets from the other side of the window.  I would have liked to go out with my mom and spend time with her, but my plan is to stay inside as much as possible before I start my internship.  I want to avoid triggering more memories in the familiar neighborhood and streets I used to roam.  I don't care to see any familiar faces either.

I take a moment to rest my head on the cold surface of the marble counter and breath.  Last night seems like it never happened, I'm almost convinced it was just an awful nightmare.  The only confirmation I have that it wasn't are my swollen eyes and cheeks from my tears.  Slowly I stand and walk over to the fridge, glancing at the clock on the stove as I pass.  It's already noon which explains why my mother was already dressed for the day.  I'm still dressed in the clothes I fell asleep in last night, excluding Harry's jacket.  I took it off and placed it at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night, the scent from it was giving me too much nostalgia.

I quickly fry up some eggs and shove them down my throat.  I make toast and cram that into my mouth as well.  I'm starving since I hardly ate any dinner last night before all hell broke loose.  I down a glass of milk and put my dishes in the dishwasher.  I feel strangely at home here which I was not expecting.

The place is renovated and looks a lot more modern than I remember it being.  All the walls are either painted white or a light shade of grey, each room with white, grey, and black accessories and a different accent color.  The living space reminds me of my room which has the same white, black and grey colors with a purple accent.  I guess that is what is in right now when it comes to interior design.

The fact that the place is all new is probably why I feel so comfortable.  It doesn't feel like the same place where I spent my time moping around and being miserable.  Instead, it feels like somewhere I can start fresh which is exactly what I need.  The walls are the same and still hold my secrets, but the vibe is different and that is enough for me.

I make my way to Jessica's room, stopping at mine on the way to grab Harry's jacket.  A few of my moving boxes have shifted, but I don't pay much attention to it.  I must have moved them around when I was counting them to make sure they were all there.

I hesitate when I reach her closed door.  I didn't get a chance to speak to her last night when I came home, but maybe that was for the best.  I'm not sure how I should be feeling right now or how she is feeling.  I don't know what to expect from her which is new to me.  She was always so predictable and I could speak every word on her mind before she ever said anything.  But now, with this situation that I could never have guessed at, I do not have one single idea what is happening behind her closed door.

I take a few breaths before lightly knocking on the door with a single knuckle.  As soon as I knock I hear a bit of muffled banging behind the door like she's shutting drawers, but she doesn't answer.