Twenty Three.

...

I'm all too aware of how close Harry is sitting to me on the sofa.  I watch him closely as he eats, laughing occasionally at an episode of a show that he has seen a million times.  This is much better than going out for dinner.  The quiet air of the apartment is calming and all I have to focus on is Harry.

The familiar smell of Mac and cheese fills the room and gives me a bit of nostalgia.  Harry would always make it for me when I was sick, upset or hungover.  In a way, it was his way of showing he cared by making something I loved.  Not to mention, he always got a little extra loving out of it. 

It's silly to think that something so stupid as mac and cheese could make me feel so at home.  I'm not at all uncomfortable being near Harry, in fact I wish he was closer.

"Staring is rude you know," he says suddenly, turning to me with a smirk.

"I wasn't staring," I shamelessly lie, but feel the blush creep into my cheeks and give me away.

He puts his empty plate down on the coffee table, taking mine from my hands and doing the same.  He turns his body to me, his eyes studying me carefully, trailing over my face ever so slowly.  I shift under his gaze, feeling the familiar flutter in my stomach as I avert my eyes from him.

"I really am sorry, Sky," he says quietly, his eyebrows furrowing slightly.

"There's no need to ask why you did it, I guess.  I already know," I mutter, rolling my eyes.  I'm getting tired of this obsession he has with Zayn talking to me.

"Skylar," he sighs, moving closer to me which forces me to look up at him.  "You don't understand, I mean it seems weird and I shouldn't really care who you talk you, but Zayn is just so... Zayn," he says, shaking his hands slightly as he grips his curls tightly.

"He's so Zayn?" I repeat, raising my eyebrows and a smile falling upon my face.  "I really hadn't noticed that about him," I laugh and Harry smiles in embarrassment.

"Shut up," he chuckles, pushing my shoulder slightly.  "You know what I mean.  I've known him for a while and he's not the right guy for you."

"Because of all people you would know what type of guy is right for me," I say sarcastically.  I instantly  regret it when Harry looks down at his lap, shame clear on his face and in his eyes.  I knew he felt sorry for what he put me through, but I never realized that he might be hard on himself about it.  The Harry I knew would never admit to his mistakes, this is all new to me.  "Sorry," I mumble quietly.  "You known what I mean," I say, repeating his words from earlier.

He lifts his head and gives me a half smile.  "Yeah, I know what you mean," he says quietly.

It was rare that I would see Harry's soft side.  He would only show it when it was just the two of us, and since we were almost always with other people it was a rare occurrence.  Even when we were alone it would take him a while to drop his walls and open up to me, be who he really was.  I cherished the moments when Harry was gentle and kind, passionate and loving. 

Now, as I look at him, as I look into his familiar eyes I see the kind and gentle Harry.  And I cherish this moment.

"So, how's the new ad coming?" He asks, changing the subject and filling the silence.

"It's coming," I shrug and he chuckles, knowing I am extremely frustrated.  "What were you talking to Mr. Parker about?"

"The ridiculous changes our client is making and how short notice it is.  I also may have mentioned how stupid he was for taking them on in the first place," he smirks.