Eleven.

...

I wake up to my alarm, rolling over and snatching my phone off the bedside table to stop the horrid and disturbing noise. I want more than anything to crawl back under my covers when I read the time on my phone, but the excitement of starting my internship coaxes me out of bed.

I trudge across the hall and turn the shower on immediately, hoping to wake myself up. The hot water relaxes me and washes away my drowsiness so the excitement can set in completely. I quickly wash my hair and body, suddenly eager to start my day. I wrap a fuzzy towel around myself and blow dry my hair, letting it sit in gentle waves.

I make my way back to my room, noticing for the first time that I'm not the only one awake when I hear noises coming from my sister's room. She must be getting ready for work, too. I'm sure my mom is up and about getting ready as well. It's a strange feeling that my mom, my sister and myself are all working the same hour days. I never thought about what it would be like to finally be working out in the real world.

I pull out a pair of black slim-fit trousers, an off-white blouse embellished with big golden vintage buttons and a pair of simple black pumps. I decide to leave my hair down, but add a bit of curl to the ends so it looks like I put some work into myself.  I put on a lot more makeup today than I've worn in a long time, wanting to be sure I'm presentable.   With one last look in the mirror I'm satisfied with myself, impressed with how put together I look and feel. I don't look like I'm falling apart at the seams and for once I don't feel like it either.

"Wow, Skylar you look lovely," my mother beams when I enter the kitchen. As I suspected she is ready for work, sitting at the table with a bowl of granola.

"Thanks," I smile shyly and grab a muffin off the counter. As soon as I take a bite I realize I don't have much of an appetite. My stomach is starting to turn and I am growing nervous about starting at Parker. I force the muffin down anyways, knowing I'll regret it if I don't eat.

"Almost ready?" She asks, standing from the table and putting her bowl in the dishwasher.

"Ready when you are," I tell her. I can hear the shakiness in my own voice and when she looks up with reassuring eyes, I know she can too.

"Nervous?" She asks, making her way to me.

I nod as she grasps my shoulders and pulls me to her body, giving me a small squeeze.

"It's normal to be nervous, I know I would be. Parker is a fabulous place, you'll be just fine honey," she tells me softly and kisses my forehead. "If we don't leave now we'll be late." She says as she grabs her keys from the counter and leaves the kitchen.

Traffic is heavy, as I expected it to be. No matter what, there will always be traffic in New York mornings and you have to lot yourself extra time for getting anywhere. I can't wait until I finally move and I can walk to work. I'll be able to sleep in later, leave later and get home faster too.

As soon as I can see the Parker building, butterflies start flitting in my stomach. I can feel my heart pounding against my ribs even as I breath to try to steady it. The closer we get, the more intense my nerves become. The sophisticated building is extremely intimidating and suddenly I feel small. I give my mom a quick kiss on the cheek and step out of the car and onto the curb. I turn to face the building and my knees shake as I take my first few steps toward it.

People flit around me on the side walk, all holding coffee or a cell phone and desperately rushing to work. Someone bumps into me from behind and I lose my balance, wobbling on my heels. I lose my breath as the pavement starts to rush forward, but suddenly stops when I feel a hand grip my arm firmly.