The Rhythm of Deceit: Chapter 1

Summer stretched out her arm, reaching for the alarm clock that had rudely interrupted her slumber. Her eyes squinted in the dim light, trying to focus on the time. It was 6:45 AM. Just enough time to get ready for school, she thought with a yawn. As she sat up, she felt a strange sensation—a throbbing pain on her left wrist. She looked down to find a fresh scar, red and angry, marring her skin. Panic swelled in her chest. She didn't remember doing this. Did she relapse?

   Her heart racing, Summer examined the scar more closely. It was a perfect line, not jagged like the ones from her past. It didn't match the patterns she used to make. This was something new, something she couldn't explain. She took a deep breath, willing the room to stop spinning. School was the last thing she wanted to face today, but she had to.

   With trembling hands, she got dressed in her usual outfit—a plain white shirt and a blue skirt. The fabric felt rough against her skin, like it was scolding her for the secret she was hiding. In the bathroom, she slapped on a band-aid to cover the scar. It was too late to deal with this now. She had to get to school.

   The morning routine was a blur of brushing teeth and combing hair. Summer couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her, that her reflection in the mirror knew something she didn't. She quickly applied some makeup to cover the dark circles under her eyes and grabbed her backpack. As she walked out the door, she told herself it was just a bad dream, a trick of the light. But deep down, she knew it was more than that.

   Summer's footsteps echoed down the hallway, the clack of her sneakers a familiar rhythm. She pushed open the door to the classroom, her heart a little lighter at the sight of the usual clutter of backpacks and the faint scent of chalk. It was just another Tuesday at William B. Travis Prep School, the kind that felt like it could stretch on forever. But as she stepped inside, she noticed something was off. Her four best friends—Tomika, Freddy, Zack, and Lawrence—were huddled together in the corner, their laughter bouncing off the walls like a pinball machine set to the highest score.

   Summer waved, calling out a greeting, and they all turned to face her. Their expressions shifted, the laughter dying down to a murmur as they looked at her. "Hi, Sum," they chorused, almost too eagerly. Something was definitely up.

   Freddy looked particularly thoughtful, his brow furrowed as he studied his phone. He has never been the quiet one, but today, he seemed lost in thought. When he saw Summer's gaze on him, he looked up with a start, his eyes wide. "Oh, hey," he mumbled, his voice trailing off.

   Curiosity piqued, Summer approached him, the rest of the group parting like the Red Sea. "What's going on?" she asked gently. The room was silent, the kind of silence that makes you aware of every breath you take. "We have some news," he began, his voice low and serious.

   The tension grew, and she felt her stomach knot. What could be so important that it required this kind of setup? "Freddy," she prodded, "are you okay?"

   He took a deep breath, his eyes darting around the group before settling on hers. "I've got a girlfriend," he announced, a half-smile playing on his lips. The others erupted in cheers, slapping him on the back and offering high-fives.

   Summer felt a twinge of something she couldn't quite place—was it happiness for him or a hint of sadness for herself? She forced a smile, trying to push aside the uncomfortable feeling. "That's great, Freddy," she said, her voice a tad too bright. "Who is she?"

   He looked at her for a beat too long, as if he'd expected a different reaction. "Her name's Kale," he said, his cheeks coloring slightly. "She's all about saving the planet, you know? Super into environmental stuff."

   Summer nodded, her smile tightening. "Congrats," she managed to murmur before turning away to her desk. She didn't want to rain on his parade, but she couldn't help feeling a little left out.

   As the rest of the students shuffled in, Mr. Finn bustled through the door. This was unusual—he was notorious for his leisurely strolls and dramatic entrances. His eyes scanned the room, a rare seriousness etched on his face. Summer sat down, the excitement of Freddy's news now a distant echo in her mind.

   The bell rang, and Mr. Finn cleared his throat, calling the class to order. "Alright, everyone," he said, his voice more solemn than she'd ever heard it. "We're going to start today with something a little different."

   Her heart thudded in her chest. What could it be? A surprise test? A new project? She glanced around the room, her eyes meeting Freddy's for a brief moment. His gaze was unreadable, but she could swear she saw a flicker of something—fear, maybe?

   The chatter died down, and Mr. Finn began to speak, his words cutting through the air like a knife. "As you all know, we live in a world that's facing some serious challenges." He paused, allowing the weight of his words to sink in. "And today, we're going to talk about how we can make a difference."

   Summer leaned forward, intrigued despite her earlier reservations. This was not the usual upbeat class she'd gotten so used to, but she couldn't deny the spark of interest that had been ignited within her. And as Mr. Finn began to outline their new assignment—a community project to raise awareness about environmental issues—she couldn't help but wonder if Freddy's news had anything to do with it.