Chapter 10 - The Importance of Vowels(and me)

I sat on the edge of the bed slowly crying to myself and I felt my bald head. 

I sobbed as I cringed in disgust. 

I was bald. 

American Bald Eagle bald.

"Hey...I'm so sorry." He wrapped his arms around me as I cried.

It wasn't his fault. It was my Scott.

Carl pulled  my legs up on the bed, and threw a blanket on me. He crawled out of bed as Fiona silently called his name from outside the door.

"Listen - I know that what happened is the last thing you want to talk about but...please...don't speak about it. Especially so Fiona." He stayed kneeling next to me until I nodded.

He slowly leaned over and kissed me on my bald head and walked towards Fiona's calling. 

I sat in silence as I heard Fiona talking.

"How long is she going to be here?"

"Just a couple months."

"Months?! Carl I can barely take care of you guys-"

"I'll take care of her! She's my responsibility right now."

"Well you're my responsibility Carl and I say no."

"I love you, but I can't seem to remember the last time I listened to you."

"Carl pleas-"

"I'm gonna go get my responsibility some dinner. Thank you."

Carl walks back towards his room, puts on his shoes, mutters a few words, than leaves. Something about a walk.

In this moment, I felt guilty that I put him in this situation. I left him alone and I knew, in my mind, that I had no intention in mending any burned bridges from the past but if I wanted to strengthen one, my heart knew it would be the bridge with Carl.

I quickly stood up, put on Carl beat up loafers that fit me rather big, a hoodie of his, and I ran towards what I remeber as the entrance.

"You, where are you going?"

I turn around to find Fiona with a hand in her hip and a sad face.

I point at myself, "Val." I point out the door, "Carl."

After that I sprinted down the street.

I forgot about every bad moment today that happened to me, I just wanted him to actually be happy.

"CARL!" I yelled like a crazed loser as I searched for my boy.

I kept sprinting with my legs giving out but I could not find him. I was losing an infinite amount of hope on finding him.

"Val?"

I whipped my head to find him smoking in an alley. Relief washed over me as I ran to him. I jumped into him for a hug and he tensed a bit at first, than proceeded to hug me tighter.

We stayed in this position for a while as I bawled on his shoulder.

Tough times hit us like bricks but he stayed by my side.

"Are you wearing my loafers?"

"They fit me really big." I replied as he chuckled.

He gave me one last squeeze. And we began walking out of the alley.

"Where are we going?"

"Let's go get food."