Chapter 8

"So, um, what do you wanna do now?" asked Rogue looking at Mikael through her lashes shyly while they were standing face to face on the pavement.

"Um, come walk with me. I'm tired of running."

She was biting her lip, and her expressive eyes reflected her obvious nerves. She thought for a minute and nodded.

They were silent for a few minutes, just enjoying the awkward silence.

"I'm sorry for the trouble. I didn't mean to jump in front of the car and make a scene. I was just desperate to see you," Mikael started with a confession.

Rogue blushed deep scarlet, unable to reply with words.

"I saw you earlier, inside that car. I ran after it. It drove inside Gates. I-um, I'm a biology student at Gates. And then the car went out of my sight. After my English class, I saw the car again, and you were right there and – " he was a blabbering mess, "Well, I ran after it again to...to give you back your book."

"That was foolish." She grimaced.

"Yeah." Mikael nodded. "I thought you were just thirteen? Do you go to Gates too? Are you some kind of a genius, accelerated student?"

Rogue burst out laughing. "Do I look like one?"

"Yeah, I mean, no, not in a nerdy kind of genius way that you're probably thinking," he stammered. He looked around him, avoiding Rogue's gaze.

"No, I don't go to Gates. I go to Pristine Middle School. But my father owns the University.

"Your father...y-you're Rufus Gates' daughter?"

"Y-yeah." Rogue slowly nodded. "I just recently found out. Long story. Family drama."

"We have plenty time. I'm willing to listen." Mikael stopped walking and faced her.

"Thank you," Rogue said.

"For what?"

"For bringing back my book."

"Oh, that, of course. You're welcome," Mikael grinned. "I was able to truly read it this time. It was an amazing book."

"I know, right? It's one of my favorite books." She looked over at him casually, studying his posture and expression. He caught her look and smiled sweetly. She looked away to hide the faint blush on her cheeks.

And so they walked on enjoying the scenery around them, the fresh air and each other's company.

"How do you find Boston so far?" Mikael asked to continue the steady flow of their conversation.

"I'm enjoying my stay so far. Boston is a great walking city. My Aunt Rita toured me around Back Bay, Waterfront, and Beacon Hill. We rode this hop on, hop off trolley that took us to Quincy Market, the Bunker Hill Monument, the Theater District, the Boston Public Gardens, and a lot more!" Rogue told him with full enthusiasm.

"Have you tried the Swan Boats?"

"Yes!" Rogue nodded in earnest. "We shopped at Newbury Street too!"

"Great," Mikael smiled half-heartedly. "Have you gone to Freedom Trail?"

"We did the tour and loved it. Lots of amazing information and the guides were dressed up and was in character." Rogue laughed in between.

"Oh-okay," Mikael only managed to say and let out a weak smile.

"I bet you haven't been to Harvard. The Art Museums at Harvard are definitely worth visiting. And personally, one of my favorite things to see at Harvard is at the Natural History Museum. The Glass Flowers exhibit is really wonderful and fascinating."

"Dad told me he will take a day off to tour me around museums next week."

"Bummer," Mikael mumbled.

"Huh?"

"I said that's cool," he said with a forced smile. "How about a tour at Fenway Park? The home of the Boston Red Sox!" Mikael wiggled his eyebrows up and down.