Prologue (2)

2nd of August, 2014

When I was a child, I loved writing diaries. I wrote about the things that at that moment made me feel joy, sorrow, hatred. During my childhood, I got about twenty diaries and each of them had a particular story. A green notebook I bought from Italy contains the highlights of the trip. A bright pink locked diary that holds the names of my previous crushes and fantasies about living happily ever after with them. An itty-bitty paperback to which the juiciest gossips from primary school were captured, and which was protected at all costs. After that, my writing became limited to school assignments and drafting work applications only.

During my summer holiday just before the eight grade, I saw a movie called The Notebook. I was very moved by the movie and it got me thinking: what if one day I got sick and forgot all my fondest memories? All the people that I admire and love from the bottom of my heart become unfamiliar to me. All the memories, that make me feel a variety of sensations, would vanish into thin air and be gone forever. This way of thinking made me start writing again. I decided to start writing down the highlights of my life, the changes I experienced, the successes and failures, the joys and the sorrows.

If one day I happen to lost all of my memory, even my own identity – I have something that reminds me of it. A diary.

Aviana Driscoll