The Runaway

Everyone was gathered around the table, they were gathered around a note. This note would surely answer where Malcolm was, Lois, his mother was worried he had gotten kidnapped. Malcolm was undoubtedly a cute, young boy and any sick bastard would risk prison for life just to get their hands on him, no doubt about it.

'Dear Family

I can't take it anymore, I don't know what you all want from me, but clearly it's not the same as what I want for me. I've decided to leave, I can't live here, this environment is far too toxic for me, it pollutes me, and I just can't breathe here. So I'm running away, and I won't be there to say goodbye, I wish I could say I'm sorry, but I can't, I'm doing everything I've wanted to do, needed to do. Please, please, don't try and track me down, you won't find me, by the time you've read this I'll probably out of state. I love you all, but I can't stay, stay safe, and tell Francis and Piama I love them both as well.

Sincerely, Malcolm'

Lois was on the verge of fainting, convinced her controlling nature drove Malcolm away, Reese was hung up on the word 'environment', Hal was blaming himself for not being there for his missing son, Francis and Piama were worried for his safety and Dewey was horrified, convinced he was the reason Malcolm ran away. Truth be told, Malcolm ran away because all of them, they all had a different piece of the puzzle, but none of them could have known that. All they knew is that Malcolm ran away, but would never know definitively why. And as they sat there, all looking like they were thin, weakened glass, they realized how empty everything was, no yelling, no crying, not sounds of furious scribbles. Silence, they finally understood how much Malcolm held them together, whether Malcolm knew it or not, Malcolm was the rubber band that bound them together, but he had to go, he had to go and now they had become undone, left empty, broken, and never knowing why.