21- Rabbit Hole.

Running doesn't distract me from my problems but being followed does. It sounds as though someone is running behind me, occasionally running their hand along the hedges. I turn back again and again to but the ghost is invisible. The sounds continue, undeniably haunting my steps even through the twists and turns.

Finally I stop, knowing when to give up I guess, breathing hard by a crossroads. The footsteps and the rustling leaves stop too and I pause, straining to hear over the pounding of blood in my ears. There it is, heavy breathing echoing my own. I hold my breath and it continues, rasping in and out.

I have to choke in some breaths of my own then but when I'm reoxygenated I yell, "Stalking people is not very polite."

I survey the crossroads of the hedge paths. Unless someone is truly invisible there's only one place they could be.

"I've heard it causes people to become very violent." I continue and shove my hand into the hedge right by my chest. I am scratched horrendously by the branches but I hit flesh. Or fabric wrapped flesh anyway.

"What are you doing?" I gasp at the person - probably Finley - I have clutched by the shirt.

"Just trying to give you some privacy," drawls a familiar, infuriating voice. Darcell.

"Why are you following me?" I demand. He tries to extricate my hand and laughs at first instead of answering.

"Well, I still don't know your name. Though I've noticed that you like keeping me at a disadvantage. It's a cowardly move, hitting an opponent from behind." His conversational tone annoys me as much as it did yesterday.

"Maybe you should pick on someone your own size next time." My voice comes out even but I can't quite hit the same amused tone he's using.

"Okay, I pick you." Darcell quips and my mind throws up an image of his ten-cent smile beyond the hedge.

"I'm trying not to get scum under my fingernails today." I let go of his shirt and begin to walk away. I hear him following on the other side of the hedge. And I growl. "Leave me alone."

"Oh but you've just got to see." Hands grab my arm and yank into the hedge. All I can do is shield my face as I stumble into the wall, dreading the impact. But the branches melt away and I slip right through. It's disconcertingly like being swallowed by a tree. I don't pop out onto the other side, though, but stop in a twilight cavity in between. The hedge spreads seemingly unbroken on both sides of me and above my head. A tunnel of green, glowing from the sunlight outside.

There in the cool darkness Darcell watches me with shining eyes as his golden hair swoops casually across his forehead. I blink as coloured spots dance in my eyes from the sudden dimness. Anxiety hums underneath my skin at how close Darcell is standing. And so even half-blind I assess him. He no longer looks like a predator looking for a meal. He looks like a lazy cat, ready to play with his food for a good long while before eating it. But not an immediate threat to me I conclude, turning my attention to the surroundings instead.

As if the beauty of the leafy tunnel isn't enough I can't help being awed by the concept too. Imagine walking beside people, or through the garden but being completely shielded from prying eyes. Amazing. Gazing at the jewel-like pattern of light and shadow on every side a smile tugs at my mouth. But that reminds me of Finley's trick with the holding hands and I quash the motions of my stupid face.

"Stick with me these and this is just the first surprising thing you'll see." Darcell says, obviously amused at my reaction.

"So the hedge tunnels are cool. Doesn't make you interesting." I answer back with as much snark as I can manage on short notice. His eyes flash with some unnameable emotion.

"I've heard Finley's a great enthraller; has he ever turned it on you?" He wheedles cruelly. After the time I've spent in Finley's clutches at the garden party today I am bunched in a ball of frustration and confusion as it is. Then that little question tightens the vice and the part of me was willing to continue this conversation dries up. Enthralment is not something anyone should bring up lightly with me.

"Do I look like I can be enthralled that easily?" I challenge arrogantly, making doubly sure to avoid looking him in the eye. I take a step forward, only so that I am closer to the gap that I entered through.

"No..." He pauses, "No. I know I wouldn't sponsor you if you could be enthralled to say yes." I bite my tongue at the other challenge to my personal integrity: sponsorship. I pretend to be unmoved though and cock my head to the side thinking. Is this just some more of that meaningless bravado, or does he actually have a purpose for annoying me today? His flair for smart words reminds me painfully of Jayne.

"I know," he continues, "That you wouldn't be a fighter if you wanted a sponsor." I snort. Yeah that's right, you think you know me, don't you?

He twists a leaf between two fingers and whilst I'm still processing his last words he continues. "So I don't want to sponsor you, I just want information."

"Why? What about?" I blurt, waiting for him to ask me to sell out the other Seveners but he just looks uncertain. He ponders for a minute, leaning back on one foot slightly.

"What if I give you information for information? You'll tell me about Seven to help with my work and I'll tell you whatever you want to know about the Huntsmen." He replies with a crafty smile. It's such an obvious trap after all Finley's shenanigans that I'm half tempted to milk him for whatever he's got. So long as he has something useful.

I size Darcell up again. Despite the way he carries himself, he can't be older than me. I shake my head. He can't even be of-age yet, he can't know anything bigger than what Finley had divulged to me the other day.

"You could just lie to me," I snap back, "Or more probably not actually know the answers I'm looking for."

"Try me," he throws back, quick as a dart, "You get one freebie." My mind churns. One free piece of information. I try to bring up a list of important things that I want to know. Things integral to my escape. The image of my hand slipping out of Finley's just replays over and over, everywhere I try to look in my mind for real questions. After a number of fruitless seconds, I sigh, pressing my thumbs over my eyes.

"Can enthralment occur without eye contact, like through touch?" I guess it is kind of an important question, just about my sanity instead of escape. But which answer do I want to hear? Do I want to blame this entire thing on magic, proving myself defenceless, or learn that I'm safe from at least that brand of magic only to find I'm going mad when I incessantly replay the moment when our hands had touched?

Darcell laughs darkly, "No never." His gaze is too sharp, watching my reactions. His eyes slip down me then, analysing everything from the braid hanging over my shoulder to the smooth triangle pattern on my skirt.

"Are you sure?" I challenge. I don't want to put too much emphasis on the enthralment subject but it's important that I have some truth to cling to. Or at least a gauge for the Huntsmen's lies.

"Interesting question. I was sure, but not when you ask it like that..." His analysing gaze is so intense for a moment I feel uncomfortable in my own skin.

"I'll look into it for you. So we have a deal?" He finally says, resting his eyes unnervingly on my neck. The beast of my anger, slumbering until now makes an appearance at this appraisal.

"Fine. We have a deal for information. Nothing more." I whirl back out through the branches to the path.

I can almost feel his smile, "I almost don't believe you on that point. But I'll let it slide. Next time I suggest you ask me about Seven Falls. I'm dying to tell someone about it."

I'm already walking away, not falling for his bait. "Everyone already knows Seven is being closed." I throw the words over my shoulder carelessly. But the words are so true it aches. The leader of the Huntsmen had made the announcement two days ago while I was stuck in the toilets nursing Penny.

His footsteps don't follow me but his laughter does, feeling a lot like a mosquito bite between my shoulder blades.

"Oh you silly fighter," he chuckles before I am out of earshot.