Chapter 67: Annabel

Annabel clenched her BlackBerry so tight in her hand that she was surprised it didn’t crack. She worked hard to steady her voice, to keep it from warbling, when she said to the receptionist who answered, “I need to speak with Detective Inspector Morton. It’s concerning the dead politicians.”

The only answer she got was a click. Had the woman hung up on her? She looked at the screen, which showed the call as still active. So she must have been put on hold.

After two minutes that felt like two centuries, a man’s voice said, “Morton here.”

Okay. That was nice. A name and not a title.

“I’m Annabel Davis. You interviewed me after Hayden Pritchard was killed. I work at the Star.

“I know who you are.”

“I, um. I think I might have done something stupid.”

“You contacted the killer.” His voice was even.

“How did you know?”

“You had access. You’re a reporter. It would have been nice if your concern for our investigation had prevented you from exploiting the opportunity, but I won’t pretend I’m surprised you took the low road.”

Ouch. “I’m coming to you now.”

“Why?” Morton’s voice dripped with scorn. “Did you receive a death threat?”

“Um.” Was all this really so predictable? Annabel had seen herself as breaking ground, creating a new and exciting genre of creative non-fiction.

“Surprised I knew that too?”

“Yes.” Annabel didn’t think her voice could get any smaller.

“You’re dealing with a killer. The threat is real. And now—let me guess—you want protection.”

“Um.” Annabel tightened her grip on her phone until her fingers hurt, then she tightened some more.

“You’re a criminal yourself for impeding this investigation.”

“I accept that,” she said weakly. “And I’ll share everything I’ve learned. It isn’t much, but—”

“Okay. Come in with what you have.”

“Um.”

Morton groaned. “You think he or she is watching you.”

“I know she is.”

There was a long pause, and Morton finally said. “I’ll send a car for you. We’ll find you someplace safe to sleep. It won’t be red carpet protection, but if you can live with a limited social life, we’ll get you to and from work safely.”

“Thank you.” This was more than Annabel had hoped for.