Chapter 79: Matthew

Matthew set his coffee mug onto the heavy oak desk. He faced the class. Was he absolutely nuts for asking them to do this assignment? Probably. But it was better than what he’d done for Elise—sweet nothing.

“Thanks for humoring me,” he told the class. “I know this assignment is off-script and unconventional. But I’d like to hear your thoughts on what we can do for Jonathan. Is there a volunteer to go first?”

Susannah’s hand shot up, and Matthew nodded at her. Her mouth opened, but a knock at the door interrupted.

Matthew opened the door to the two officers who had conducted Tuesday’s bag search. Inspector Morton was with them, hanging behind.

“May we come in, please? We’d like to talk to your students.”

“Sure.” Matthew moved aside so they could enter.

They filed into line at the front of the classroom. Where Matthew normally stood. He leaned against the door frame to watch.

Inspector Morton cleared his throat. “As you likely know, your classmate, Jonathan Whyte, has been charged with the recent spate of political murders in Toronto.”

The class murmured.

“New evidence has come to light. He’s not without blame, but we now know he didn’t act alone.”

Susannah rolled her eyes. “New evidence, like a dead body when he was already locked up.”

“That’s right.” Morton funneled his gaze toward her, then shifted to Matthew. “Can you tell me which one of your students is Jessica Dunne?”

Matthew was stunned. He looked at Jessica, willed her to stand so he didn’t have to point her out.

Morton tapped a foot impatiently.

Susannah jumped up. “I’m Jessica.”

“No, you’re not. You’re Susannah Steinberg. I interviewed you with Laura Pritchard, if you recall.”

“Right.” Susannah sat down.

“I’m Jessica.” Diane stood up. “Should I pack up my things?”

“Yes, please.”

The two uniformed cops lumbered down the aisle toward Diane and placed her in cuffs.

Clare stood. “Leave her alone. I’m Jessica.”

Morton gave Clare an odd look and muttered, “Cuff her, too, I guess.”

“Oh, stop it, girls. I’m Jessica,” Brian said with a lisp. He waved his hand in the first and only gay gesture Matthew had ever seen him demonstrate. “My operation isn’t complete yet, but I’m going by my new name already.”

The class roared with laughter while Morton rolled his eyes. He had to speak loudly to be heard. “We don’t have enough handcuffs for every student in this room. Though you’re tempting me to call for more supplies. Would one of you like to tell me what’s going on?”

Susannah stood up again. “We want to be in the loop. You grilled us individually when Libby Leighton died. You took Jonathan Whyte away and now you say he’s innocent. I’m sure the real Jessica will stand up eventually. Just tell us why you want her.”

Morton glared at Matthew as if he expected him to impose some kind of order. Matthew felt his pain, but wasn’t inclined to help the cop. Not yet.

“Anything I tell you now can mess up the prosecution, which I’m sure is not your goal. Kindly identify your friend Jessica for me or we’ll lock down the room and inspect everyone’s ID.”