The Genin Exam

The photo above is close to how Naruto looks with his glasses on and a pair of earrings in.**

Naruto Uzumaki was what you would call an enigma, to Shikamaru at least. Yeah sure he was the class idiot and always got them in trouble, but every so often Shikamaru would see things out of the ordinary with the blond boy.

There was one time when Naruto had come into the classroom smelling like grease, he even had some in his hair, but he had laughed and brushed it off as a prank. Another time when he was late to class, Naruto claimed that he had slept in, but someone as observant as Shikamaru could understand by the bags under Naruto's eyes and his slightly sluggish demeanor that he obviously wasn't resting enough.

There were plenty of other instances as well, but the main ones were when Naruto would completely space out. The others believed that it wasn't anything special, and some even joked that he was just blanking again because his mind couldn't understand the simple material taught in the class, but Shikamaru watched him out of the corner of his eye, and what he saw contradicted most of those statements.

Whenever it seemed to happen and Naruto stared off his eyes would begin to dart back and forth, as if calculating in his mind, his nose scrunched up a bit, and his hands twitched every so often, like he wanted to do something. He also noticed that when lunch came around, Naruto would make sure that nobody saw him as he pulled out a thick notebook and a pen and ran off behind the school into the trees.

This had been happening for as long as he had known Naruto, and Shikamaru had set himself on figuring out the reasons behind his mysterious actions.

Scene change-

Naruto sneezed as he pulled a screwdriver out of one of his toolboxes. 'Wonder who's thinking about me.' he mused to himself before he pulled down the pair of goggles resting on his head to cover his eyes. He looked to his left at the large blueprint of the metal storage armor that he had designed and had just begun to build. It would probably take a long time to make, but he was sure that it would be worth it.

The armor was designed to have many hidden storage units for both food and water and any weaponry or scrolls that might need to be kept on someone without the use of seals. The armor design was basic to minimize the working hours needed to complete the project, but it was still good looking, and underneath the surface lay scattered compartments that didn't need to be activated or accessed using seals.
Their purpose was similar to pouches, the containers held the needed weapons, scrolls, food, water, and any other necessities that might be needed on a dangerous mission or trip, they could expand to fit the needed amount, as long as it wasn't too much, and they could be accessed with any code the user wished, meaning that only you and those that you told the code to could open the storages.

The compartments were strategically placed to be hidden underneath the appropriate areas that ensured protection to the goods inside, and the metal was strong, resulting in long lasting usage.

He smiled to himself and looked through the goggles he had kept with him for as long as he could remember, they were his protective goggles that he used whenever he was building or experimenting. He picked up the screwdriver, screws, a buzzsaw, and a blowtorch, and got set to working.

Naruto Uzumaki is what you would call an engineer or a scientist, or even a mix of both, but one thing was for sure, he was a prodigy. Sure he was dead last in his school, but that was all an act. Ever since he was 4 and had unlocked his chakra, he had been drawn to learning about it. He studied the hand signs, writing down the information he learned from them and how they conducted the chakra, and learned about all of the different pairings. He even created some of his own, one of his favorite being the Mass compressed wind energy rasengan.