Chapter Four

I groaned as my alarm went off. I didn’t get much sleep last after my shower. I know Michael offered to have me come in, but it was an hour later and he was probably sleeping by then. 

I slipped my leggings on and grabbed my hoodie, pulling it over head. Slinging my backpack over my shoulder, I opened the door. 

I was a little early this morning. For many reasons, but one in particular. Avoiding Michael. I’ve had an off feeling about Michael having a girlfriend. I don’t want to be the kind of girl that ruins ones relationship. I have feelings for Michael, but they’re nothing too serious. 

I continued to walk down the hallway when I heard a door open and  close behind me. 

“Hey! Emma wait up,” I heard Michael call after me. I sighed and turned around to see him quickly walking towards me, stumbling a bit and trying to get his backpack on his shoulders. I chucked at his clumsiness. 

“Uh, I was gonna go get a coffee,” I lied to him. 

“I can go with you, if you want,” He looked down at me and smiled. Once again, I couldn’t say no. 

We walked out to the parking lot and I followed Michael to his car, sitting myself in the passenger seat. 

Michael, sat in the drivers seat, put the key in the ignition and started the car. 

We made small talk as he drove to the small coffee shack, not too far off campus. When we drove up to the window Michael turned to me. “What do you want?” He asked me, still with a smile on his face. 

“Caramel mocha breve,” I mumbled. I grabbed my backpack from the floor and pulled out three dollars to pay for my coffee. 

“One caramel mocha breve and one black,” he said clearly, his head out the window. He looked back at me and I handed him the three dollars, him not taking it. 

“I can pay, it’s fine,” Michael told me, pulling out a twenty from his wallet. 

“Oh, okay. Thank you,” I told Michael. Feeling the tingling sensation in my stomach. 

“No problem,” He smiled at me. 

*******

I sighed, taking my seat in one of the chairs that didn’t have very many people around it. I took out a pencil and some papers to take notes on. Grabbing my coffee, I sipped from it. 

“Hey,” I heard a voice from behind me say. I turned around and saw a boy with black hair and dark skin. 

“Hey?” I said, more as a question. 

“I’m Calum,” he said with a big smile, sticking out his hand. I took it in mine and shook it. “Emma.” 

“Looks like we have English together,” He said, turning around for a moment, then turning back with a pencil. 

“Yeah, seems as-” I was cut off with the professor talking. I turned back around and paid attention to the teacher. 

*******

I gathered up my papers and pens and stuffed them into my already compacted backpack. I looked up to see Calum. 

“Hey, I’ll walk you out.” He offered and I nodded my head and smiled. 

We finally made our way out of crowded classroom and into the hallway. I tried to push past some people, my height contradicting my actions. 

I made it to the side of the hallway and searched for the tan boy with brown eyes. Whilst searching I met eyes with piercing green ones. Michael. 

He walked through people and made his way towards me. 

“Hey Em,” He smiled down at me, his Australian accent thick as he spoke the nickname that he had given me. I was quite used to Auzzie accents, but they still caught me off guard at times. I came to Sydney from Washington because my mom had a crazy good job offer. So we packed up all of our stuff and moved across the world. 

“Hi Michael,” I said, still looking around for where Calum could have gone. 

“Who you looking for?” Michael asked me. “A guy I met in class, it looks like he just disappeared.”

“Well, if you can’t find him, my ps4 is quite lonely,” he smirked. 

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I nodded my head and he slowly walked away. I continued my search for Calum. The hallways weren’t as packed as they were, and I couldn’t spot him anywhere. I sighed and shook my head and walked towards the food court. 

I sat myself down at one of the empty tables, my salad in front of me. I pulled the fork from the plastic wrapping and stuck it into the green leaves. 

I ate in silence for at least 5 minutes, when I heard my name being called. 

“Emma!” I turned around to locate the source of the voice. There I saw Calum rushing over to me, some ribs in hand. 

I chuckled at his choice in food. I didn’t eat meat, and I found it funny that you would eat them for lunch. He sat down on the other side of the table, attempting to steady his breathing. 

“Sorry for ditching you, I got held back by some friends,” he chuckled and stuck his fork into the meat and ripped some of it off, popping it in his mouth. Grimacing, I looked away. 

“So, Emma. Tell me about yourself,” Calum spoke up and I smiled.