Chapter Fourteen - Date: The Social Interaction

~~~~

~
~
~
~

Denim.

Denim shorts.

Denim pants.

Denim jackets.

Plain shirts.

As I stood in front of my closet, I realized my entire wardrobe was a bit ... lame. I mean, it was great and all for school, but tonight...I counted it as a bit special.

Yes, yes, the time had come for the date Shane and I had agreed on. The entire week of school, I walked around as a nervous wreck. The dating world was still fresh and new to me. What if I said something wrong? Maybe I'd scare off the first guy to show interest in me. That would be thrilling. Oh, the first date memories I would share with my grandkids.

I shook those thoughts from my mind and peered deeper into my closet, hoping for something to pop out at me. Nothing. I had two dresses stored in the back, but those two were my very special occasion dress and were reserved for those occasions only. I highly doubted that a first date counted as a very special occasion.

The only thing I could find that even remotely caught my attention were the pair of flats tucked beneath all my boots and sneakers. I pulled them out, inspecting them for any scuffs or wear. They looked brand new. I figured that mom must have purchased them for me on a shopping trip and I just never found them.

But that still didn't provide the cure for the rest of my ensemble. I checked the clock on my nightstand; two hours. I still had two hours. I had already showered, my hair still wrapped up in a towel.

"Knock, knock."

I turned to see mom at the doorway, a grin on her face and her hands behind her back. I narrowed my eyes at her. "Hey, mom. What's up?"

She took that as a cue to enter further into my room, the grin widening. Honestly, it was starting to freak me out a bit. "So ..."

"So ..." I repeated.

"Okay, I know tonight is your date, so I have something for you," she finally exclaimed, throwing whatever was behind her back into my hands. I looked down and found a dress. Cocking my head to the side, I let the bundled up piece of material loose and examined it further.

Honestly, it was completely adorable. I loved it. Dark purple in color, with thin, pale pink and purple stripes running horizontal, thin straps and falling just above the knees, it was the cutest dress I had ever seen. Perfect for tonight; not too flashy, but not too casual. And to boot, I had a cardigan and those flats that would look perfect with it.

"Mom, this is great!" I exclaimed, dropping the dress down before hugging her. "Where did you find it?"

She shrugged, crossing arms. "I just found it today while milling around. I had some extra time while Eddie finished his science experiment at school, and voila! Oh, and I almost forgot."