Chapter 12: Finish Them

New chapter at last! And it's a pretty darn long one if I do say so myself! I had a lot of ideas for how this one would go, I hope the outcome suffices 😉

Anyway, all I need to say is things are going to get REAL this chapter, so get ready for a feels rollercoaster! Have fun, and thanks as always for all the support!

-Nicky ❤️

Alex's POV

I ran lightly down the steps leading the the Baron's dungeons. Carefully dodging the guards wasn't easy without Eryu's help, but somehow I managed it. Even in the lowest level of the castle, I could hear the echoing sounds of whatever conflict Eryu had gotten themselves into. I heard shouts, crashes and bangs. I feared for them, they'd helped me so much since we first met. But I couldn't stay and listen. I had to find Twinkle. I began to hear soft murmuring. I tried to detect which way it was coming from, but it slowly died down, probably when whoever was speaking heard my approaching footsteps. Suddenly, I turned a corner, and there I saw Twinkle. Her hair was flat and messy, she had a painful graze on her cheek and her face was blotchy from crying. But it was Twinkle, sitting there, just the same as she always was from the very beginning.

"A-Alex?" She asked in wonder. She appeared to be clutching something, but it was behind her knees, so I couldn't see what.

"It's me Twinkle. I'm here to get you out." I smiled warmly at her, and she smiled back.

"Is Gene safe?" She asked me as I got out my sword and fiddled around with it inside the lock.

"I don't know myself. He's trapped in the castle with Ruby. I escaped before it was entirely barricaded, but I imagine he's fine. Don't lose hope." I said, as I finally managed to open the lock. I walked inside the cell and was about to help Twinkle to her feet, when she stopped me.

"Alex. Before we leave, I need you to touch this for me." She said, handing me what she had been holding in her hands. I saw something... No, someone! I eagerly touched it, and a blinding light filled the dark cell. Suddenly, I would just make out a silhouette, then I saw more details. Long black hair in a plait stretching down to the back, a blue dress, kind face and jewelled crown. It couldn't be. The woman that appeared collapsed to her knees in front of me, falling into my arms. I touched her face and felt tears streaming down her face. She lifted her head and looked into my eyes. There was no mistaking it. It was my mother, Queen Rachel of Kingsland.

"Alex! Oh, my boy!" She said shakily, before pulling me into a hug, I felt tears well up in my eyes as I hugged her tightly back. She broke away for a moment, and studied my face intently.

"It really is you my, little boy. But you're not so little anymore, look at you!" She smiled.

"Mom... I can't believe it. I thought you were-"

"Shh. It's alright. I'm here now aren't I? Your friend found me. She's been telling me all about you. What a great hero you are. I always knew it. My Alexander would be the greatest prince Kingsland has ever had." She touched my chest, her face brightening up when she felt the stone.

"I could never forget you mom. Never." I said. I looked at Twinkle, who appeared to be wiping a few tears away herself.

"Hey! What's going on down here?" We suddenly heard the voice of a guard.

"Quick, we must escape. Hurry now!" Mom said, taking us both by the hand and running out of the cell.

Eryu's POV

My vision was blurring. I could barely stand. My sword slipped out of my hand as I fell onto my knees.

"It's all over now. You can't win." Sasayaki said, although I sensed the quiver in their voice.

"No... It doesn't have to be like this. We could stick together." I said, looking them in the eyes.

"W-What?" They said, almost sounding as though they regretted something.

"We're the last remaining Magicurls. If we stay together, we could rebuild our race!" I said, looking over at the Baron, who ran up to Sasayaki

"My dear, they're clearly talking nonsense. Finish them!" He said angrily, looking at me.

"N-No." They whispered, the flames in their hands beginning to die down. My face brightened as they shot me a wink of acceptance. They walked over to me and held out a hand to help me stand. The Baron appeared to be getting angrier and angrier, and he drew his sword. I saw him raise it behind Sasayaki, when it was just as it was about to fall upon them...

Sasayaki's POV

The spirit pushed me away and I stumbled and fell, only looking back to see the Baron's sword slash them across the back.

"No!" I cried, tears welling up in my eyes. The flames in my hands grew bigger and bigger, and I felt raging anger take over every part of my body.

"That's it my dear! Channel that anger and take down the castle!" The Baron yelled. He had finally gone mad. I looked him in the eyes for a moment. I couldn't see what I once saw. I couldn't see the man who had dreams, I couldn't see the man who had emotions. All I could see was an empty husk, with an all consuming desire for power. I knew what I had to do. I threw the flames in my hand at him as he hit the wall. Unconscious. Once I'd calmed down, I ran over to the spirit.

"Are you ok? Please, speak to me!" I said, the tears continuing to flow. They coughed, looking up at me and smiling.

"Heh... Heh... Your name is Sasayaki, is it not? I remember you well, but you don't remember me." They said, touching a hand to my cheek.

"I... No. But please stay with me! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I've been on the wrong side my whole life. I just want one more chance." I said, hugging them close to my chest.

"E-Eryu..." They said, before their eyes closed. I felt my heart drop. They'd sacrificed their life... For me.