Prologue

Death.

It was coming for the Evertree.

It was crawling closer at a painfully slow rate, but it was coming nonetheless. The Evertree could feel its energy, its life, slowly being sapped away as if something was drinking it from a straw. Or someone.

But who? Why? Certainly it could not be the Wyrm for the Evertree had felt that horrible monster die several months ago. It had been a gruesome battle, but in the end good had triumphed and the Evertree had been saved.

Over the last few months the Evertree had been restoring its once infinite power. The Wyrm had left deep scars on the Evertree, but they had almost completely faded when this new threat arrived from who knows where.

And then reality dawned on the Evertree. It was dying. Of course it had already realized that, but putting it in such simple words was making it oh so clear. The Evertree had not even felt this way when the Wyrm had been rotting it from the roots. Death was so close. So bittersweet.

Imagine it. The Evertree, the source of all life in Erdas, Mother to the Great Beasts, Controller of dreams, Creator of the bond between man and animal, dying. The situation was almost ironic. But then another thought struck the Evertree. If it was all these things, then if it died all these things died too.

Erdas died.

And that couldn't happen.

The Evertree had to find a way to save itself, but how? Perhaps it could send a dream to the Greencloaks. They had been reliable in the past. Yes, that was a good idea. But in the meantime, the Evertree needed a short term plan. The Greencloaks would no doubt take weeks or even months to fix the situation. The Evertree had days.

But where could it get... life? Surely it wasn't something you could just borrow? Or was it? An idea started to form in the Evertree's mind. Life could not be formed, it had to be taken from something. Something alive.

No... these were not the Evertree's thoughts. Something was messing with its mind. The Evertree would never steal someone's life. It couldn't. It shouldn't.

                                                                                                     But it did.