Chapter 2: Powers of Hybrid

“So let me get this straight, the king of the HybridWings came with five HybridWings, asked Tsunami and Clay if the HybridWings can join the academy while telling them they’re a secret tribe and flew away?” Nightfighter said.

“Pretty much,” Peacebringer said.

Night just massaged his forehead. “Three moons that will cause a lot of problems, I need to speak with King Sandstorm about this,” Night said.

Nightfighter was at Jade Mountain Academy resolving the HybridWing problem. Word had already spread throughout the school about the new comers. All the students are supposed to gather in the Great Hall later for an assembly.

“I don’t think he’ll be easy to contact,” Cyclone piped in.

“Then I’ll just have to ask this Prince Cobra to tell his father, the Furusato council will not be pleased when they hear about this,” Nightfighter said. “They’re going to think we hid the HybridWings from them, moons Lightning is going to flip.”

“I can tell my father that.” Cobra’s voice said. Peacebringer whirled around, but didn’t see him anywhere. Then a patch of the cave wall shimmered and changed color into the golden scales of Cobra. “Besides,” Cobra continued. “We’ve faced more dangerous problems than angry dragons. We can handle ourselves.”

Nightfighter gave Cobra a questioning look, but Cobra didn’t seem to see it. He was looking right at Peacebringer. “Is that your daughter?” He asked Nightfighter.

“Yes.” Nightfighter said. “Why do you ask?”

“Because,” Cobra began. “I was wondering if it would be fine with you if I took her out hunting with me.”

Nightfighter blinked. “Sure,” he said. “But make sure you’re back in time for the assembly.”

“We will.” Cobra promised, then gestured to Peacebringer to follow him.

“Did that really just happened?” Cyclone asked.

“I guess so,” Peacebringer said.

“Well better not make the prince wait then,” Nightfighter said. “Just go ahead.”

Peacebringer flew after Cobra. He waited for her to catch up, then they flew towards the more remote areas.

“So that trick you pulled off, camouflage scales?” Peacebringer asked while flying.

“Something like that,” Cobra replied.

They flew in silence for a bit.

“Why exactly did you invite me to go hunting with you? We hardly know each other,” Peacebringer asked again.

“You might think I’m crazy,” Cobra said.

Peacebringer gave a questioning look. “Why?”

“You and I are in a prophecy, to save all the tribes,” Cobra said. “I can see into the future.”

Peacebringer flew in place, hovering. “So you have NightWing powers too?” Peacebringer asked.

“Something like that,” Cobra said.

Peacebringer flew after Cobra again. “All NightWing powers?” she asked once more.

“If you mean mind reading, then yes,” Cobra said. “Don’t you have mind reading?”

Peacebringer shook her head. “I didn’t hatch under any full moon.”

“Such a shame, you could’ve gotten either if you did, or both,” Cobra said.

“Anything else would you like to inform me?” Peacebringer asked.

“Nothing that concerns you,” Cobra replied.

Peacebringer flew in front of Cobra, blocking him. “If I’m part of this prophecy thing then I need to know everything. Including all your powers, and don’t lie.”

Cobra sighed. “Darkness is coming to the tribe all alone. Only the son of the King of Gold. And the daughter of Night and Ice, Can save the dragons that aren’t well known. And only then, will the future behold. That's the prophecy.”

“Something like the Jade Mountain and Darkest Days prophecy?” Peacebringer asked.

“Something like that,” Cobra replied.

“Are you going to keep saying that?” Peacebringer asked getting irritated by Cobra’s answers.

“Maybe,” Cobra said grinning.

Three moons he is annoying, Peacebringer thought.

“I heard that,” Cobra said.

“Oh great, now I can’t even think privately,” Peacebringer said.

The gongs sounded, alerting everyone to gather at the assembly.

“This conversation is not over,” Peacebringer said. “You still need to tell me everything.” She started to fly back to the Great Hall. She arrived just in time as the students started to gather.

As soon all of the students gathered, Sunny and all of the HybridWings including Cobra went onto a large ledge.

“Everyone, I like to introduce the HybridWings,” Sunny began. “They are a new tribe and will be attending the academy.”

The dragons in the hall murmured.

“I know everyone’s a bit sceptical about a new tribe being introduced so suddenly and being able to trust them,” Sunny continued. “But we are in a time of peace, a time where there are no differences between dragons, so I hope you will all treat them as if you would treat each other.”

Clay then stepped onto the ledge. “Here are the assignments. Stinger in the Gold winglet, clawmates will be Kelp of the WaveWings and Dingo of the SandWings. Cactusflower in the Copper Winglet, clawmates are Horus of the SandWings and Eruption of the FireWings. Cactus in the Silver Winglet, clawmates are Tornado of the StormWings and Aurora of the LightWings. Sanddune in the Quartz Winglet, clawmates are Himalaya of the IceWings and Foreshadow of the Shadow-Wings. Lastly, Cobra in the Jade Winglet, clawmates are Lotus of the PoisonWings and Hellbringer of the Shadow-Wings.” Clay said reading from a scroll.

Oh well that’s just great, Peacebringer thought. I’m going to be stuck with him. Cobra looked at her direction, frowning.

“That will be all, your next classes will begin shortly, until then you may have a free period,” Sunny announced.

All the dragons scattered, murmuring about the HybridWings. All the HybridWings headed towards the dorms.

“There you are,” Cyclone said behind Peacebringer.

Peacebringer looked behind her to find her clawmates. “How did you little date go?” Current asked.

“What? No! It wasn’t a date!” Peacebringer yelled, making dragons around them turn to her with weird looks.

“It wasn’t a date,” Cobra said shimmering into view directly in front of Peacebringer.

Peacebringer yelped, startled by the sudden appearance of Cobra.

“We hunted, simple as that. Now if you'll excuse me, I will be at my dorm,” Cobra said walking away to the male dorms.

Current blinked. “Did he just- what? Someone please explain,” she said looking like she just seen a ghost, which probably looked like that.

“He has camouflage scales,” Cyclone replied.

“Along with future sight and mind reading,” Peacebringer added.

Both her clawmates gave horrified looks. “He can read our minds?!” Cyclone asked half yelling.

Peacebringer shrugged. “I mean some of the NightWings can, didn’t you two already know that?” she asked.

“Well now we need to make sure we think nice things in front of two tribes now,” Current said.

“Well, it can’t get any worse than this right?” Peacebringer asked.