Chapter 6

Anastasia

He showed me things that I had never seen before. He showed me images of the farm in spring, of beautiful things, of new life. I understood now that there is more to life than just killing and fighting to survive. I now understood that we need him.

  I wanted to keep him alive before but now my need is stronger. It’s now becoming my new mission. I need to keep him safe and I need to get him back to the village so he can become the new leader.

  I finally gave him full access to my confusing mind. Most people will get lost and confused in my mind but I will help guide him through my mind. He will soon fully understand my life, and hopefully I will understand him more.

  I sit silently next to him on a hard wooden seat. I know my carefully built mask is down. I know my friends and brother can see how sad and confused I am. I know Brian is confused and a little bit scared.

  I can read Brian’s mind freely now. He accidently let his barrier down for one second when I barged through the door, and in that time I managed to get a hold of his thoughts and once I get a taste of their thoughts, I can then read their minds freely, even if there is a barrier up.

  I go back to the memories of the farm that Joseph gave me.

  Is she ok? I hear my brother think.

  Why is everyone freaking out? I hear Marie think.

  What is going on? Oooooh I smell turkey. I hear Benjamin think.

  I have to stifle a giggle with a cough at Benjamin’s thoughts. I tell Joseph what I heard when I was searching the minds. He too had to stop himself from laughing with a cough.

  Please do not tell me that Joseph has fallen for a caster. And who are those others. Are they bodyguards for the girl or something? Brian’s thoughts interrupts mine and I immediately tell Joseph and we both can’t help but laugh hysterically.

  “Hey what’s going on here?” Robert asks as he and Joseph’s other two friends walk in through the door.

  That just sends me and Joseph into more fits of laughter.

  “It wasn’t you again was it?” Marie asks a bewildered Benjamin.

  “What? Why would you think that?” He protests.

  Marie puts a hand on her hip and raises an eyebrow.

  “I just thought I smelt turkey.”

  Joseph and I are laughing too much now and I’m clutching my stomach for I can’t stop laughing and it hurts.

  “Enough!” Jayden shouts.

  I’m all of a sudden pulled from my hysteria. Joseph also stops laughing. I know that Jayden’s power has come into play. He has the power to change other people’s emotions instantly.

  Then the room smells like roses and feels calm. And I know that Marie’s power is in play for she can calm people easily.

  “Stop.” I say and stand up. “You’re making it worse.” I put my mask up again and look fierce.

  The smell of roses stops. But then I realise Benjamin is gone and with my power I locate him in the kitchen.

  “Benjamin! There is no turkey!” I yell at him.

  Everyone looks shocked for they didn’t even know he was missing. The sound of pots and pans hitting the floor comes from the kitchen and Benjamin scurries out.

  “Will you please not become stealthy here? It’s just not right” I tell him.

  “I’m sorry. The smell of turkey was too much.” He protests.

  “I have a better nose than you. You’re smelling things. There is no turkey. There are only onions. I swear you’re confusing those two things.”

  “Oh. That explains why it slightly burns my nose. I still don’t get how you can tune all those smells out.”

  “Practice.” And with that I touch my nose for emphasis.

  “True.”

  “Will you please make some sense?” Steven asks.

  I roll my eyes and walk outside. “Can I give a demonstration?” I ask my older brother.

  “No.”

  “Why?”

  “Because.”

  “Because why?”

  “Just because I said so okay?”

  “Okay, okay. Don’t go all tough guy on me.”

  Then I feel sleepy. The faint smell of roses fills my nose and I can feel my eyelids drooping.

  “Marie no.” I say weakly before falling to the ground unconscious.