Chapter 18

Anastasia

  The choosing day comes to soon as everyone in the town gets ready and hopes the choosers see them.

  Joseph and I go hunting every day, considering he’s a farm boy, he’s not that bad with a bow and arrow. He’s also got talent with a sword. And he’s absolutely breathtaking with all his flips and things that help when in a serious fight.

  Nobody thinks I will get in. Again because nobody has seen me in action. Also their petty minds are so easy to read. Joseph and I think we have a good shot at getting in to train with all of the soldiers.

  I’m hoping to be among the few women that get in. Joseph is hoping to get an understanding in this magic war.

  I have begun teaching him a little about magic, although we still haven’t figured out his power yet. We have tried everything.

  I think it’s because of the protection spell, he reckons that it’s because he was never taught, but I know better.

  The choosing day is just another sunny day. But not just any sunny day, a day where we all gather in peace and harmony to find out who will be fighting for our freedom.

  Joseph and I decide to meet at the corner of the square in the centre of town. Everyone has to wear white. So here we both are him in a pure white suit and me in a pure white gown that itches.

  We make our way to a good spot where we can see and talk until the leader and generals walk onto the stage. Silence falls over the entire square, no one moves, no one even breathes.

  Frank makes his way to the centre of the stage with a piece of paper containing all of the names to all those who will be training as soldiers. He takes a deep breath, unfolds the paper then rambles on about how much of a privilege it is.

  Finally he starts to read name after name and they all stand upon the stage looking proud.

  Our names haven’t been called out, not mine, nor Joseph’s not even Jayden’s. He comes to the end of the list and smiles at those on the stage.

  “Now,” He announces “There are a few more names here and these people will be training with the generals to be leaders in this devastating war. Only a few people will have this honour and they will be leading us in this war, for soon I may be needing a replacement and I couldn’t think of better people than those I am about to read out.” We all wait in anticipation as he takes a deep breath and reads the names “Jayden Silverwater, Anastasia Silverwater and Joseph Greystone.”

  Shock waves over the crowd as if a giant beast has just been released. Nobody knew a Greystone was present, nobody thought I was good enough and nobody expected this.