Chapter I

The world is just another name for despair. My height is just another diameter for the earth. I am all of my joy and anxiety.

BTS'Reflection

Start--

"Why is the heaven keeping me alive? How can I make this worthless life significant?

I may have all the richest in the world but these never made me happy. Never in my entire existence in this world have I had experience genuine happiness.

I don't know what happened to the world that it became this way. The world became a horror to me."

______________________________

"Another infected one died!"

"Who?"

"The pregnant woman, we have to hurry! Come on!"

I heard the lab assistants' conversations and the three of them hastily rushed out of the laboratory. Leaving me behind with two test tubes in my hand.

The owner of these blood samples already dead. What's the use? I can't stop them from dying. Her baby is just eight months old. Just a month away. Yet, it didn't even had the chance to witness this world. Though this world is so awful and cruel, still, that baby still has the right to see it. But everything is over for the two of them now.

What am I supposed to do now? I asked myself in disbelief.

A tear left my eye, together with the breaking of the test tubes in my hand.

Five years ago, an unknown virus spread in the City of Osalem and infected a significant number of individuals living in the city, almost the whole population actually, regardless of age and gender. But this occurrence in Osalem was not made known to the public, only the government. It might cause panic all throughout the country.

Ten or more years from now, all those infected individuals will eventually die. Some left Osalem and those who remained were isolated while waiting for a cure. 

Scientists already figured out the life span of the virus. Many have died already, mostly those who have a weak immune system.

The City of Osalem already formed a group of expert scientists and doctors to create a cure. And I am one of them.

You might ask why I'm one of them it's because I volunteered.

A person who is infected of the virus, EN15, will not immediately die upon infection but will still live for five-seven years. The virus, once found a host, it will make it suffer in an inexplicable pain and will live in that body until the host will die so is the virus.

The virus was called EN15, derived from the name of the first person who died of it. Aiyen. Kim Aiyen. 'EN' from the last two letters of her name and '15' was the date of her death, July fifteenth.

She was so young yet so witty and has a lot of dreams. She talks and asked about everything she's curious of. She was a sick girl already and her her life ended in just a snap after suffering for a year on a virus that no one knows how and where it originated.

One day she looked so fine, so happy that on one would think that she is sick and stayed with her family that night. And on the next day she never woke up.

Dreadful isn't it? More dreadful than my life.

After a year of looking for a cure, we finally found a way to treat the virus in an individual's body. The virus isn't airborne. An infected person will just experience extreme pain and they somehow stop from aging alongside with that is their internal organs will slowly stop from functioning which will eventually kill the host.

"Please, you don't have to do this. We can find another living body for this or another way to end this," the senior doctor said to me. He has been asking me not to do any of this.

"When?" I asked him, but not a hint of backing out is in my head. "When will that be Dr. Kim?" I asked again yet sternty was not heard only my soft voice. "When everyone infected is dead? I can't wait for that to happen. We can't wait for that. And please don't ever say that annihilating all infected is our last resort."

"So you've already made up your mind, even if this will end your life?"

"I don't know how to define my life. But by doing this, I guess I can now give it a significant meaning to it, though I won't be able to share that to others, but you can. Right Dr. Kim?" I looked at him and went to lay myself in a tube like pod.

"How about your parents?"

"Don't let them know. They never really cared for me in the first place," I answered him bitterly.

"But you're their only child. You are the only heir," he said holding my hand tightly, kneeling before almost crying. "Please don't do this."

"Dr. Kim. . ." I called him, "for the first time and for the last time, can I call you 'dad'?"

Dr. Kim broke in tears, removing his spectacles, "I will let you can me anything you want. Just please don't do this. You have a huge life ahead of you."

"You were more like a father to me than my own dad."

Dr. Kim finally stood up, wiped his tears and followed me as I comfortably lie on the pod that will make me asleep for exact six years to culture the antidote, a vaccine that will stop the spread of the Virus EN15 on one's body. The antidote also needs a living body for it to become more resistant of the virus. My blood will become the antidote that will save all the infected individuals in the City of Osalem.

I will be the vaccine.

The other doctors then started to inject me a green colored serum and attached some tubes that'll support my breathing. They have to keep me alive while asleep for five years until the anti-virus reached its final form.

And when that time comes, my body will eventually die.

"Dr. Kim I have something to ask you," I called him, bracing myself for what has to come and my sight's getting blurry already. The serum is affecting me abruptly.

"What is it?" Mr. Kim asked, concern is obvious in his voice almost breaking again in tears. He held my hand but I can barely feel it. The serum is making me numb. "Tell me, what is it?" he added, squishing my hand. I can't see his wrinkled face anymore.

Mr. Kim, who is one of my college professor is the only one who knows about my life and my family. And he has been like a father to me. I regard him as my real father actually. But only me knows about that.

"If we fail, will I still live?" I asked but I heard no answer from Mr. Kim. He maybe did answer me, only that I can no longer hear him. "And if I woke up before we can fully develop the antidote inside my body. . . please. . . please make sure that I'll forget everything. . . Everything."

Then I fell into the sleep I know I'll never woke up.

At least my life ended knowingly.

End of Chapter I

_______________________

Thank you for reading. And please tap that little star at the bottom.

VOTE--COMMENT--SHARE