viii

EPILOGUE

A beautiful, slightly warm, Spring day. The sun way out, a few puffs of clouds were in the sky, dancing around. The fruit orchards were my shade. Whilst I wore a straw hat, wide brimmed and a pair of sunnies, the orchards helped me. A basket was attached to my side, slowly picking at the stone fruit that was growing. I was doing some baking today and needed fresh fruit.

I picked off some bag ones, chucking them into another basket that I was going to use for composting. Keeping the ripe ones, placing them gently into my basket, care not to bruise them. I wanted to surprise the man I love with his favourites. A berry jam, scones and peach pie. He always complained nothing could beat my peach pie. Even with him travelling the world, tasting different kinds of peaches and their matching pies, he never found one he liked better than mine.

He made me feel loved, feel special and forget about everything. A year had passed since my night watching him in Kinky Boots. He had won his Tony award for Hamilton and had been nominated for the west end awards, Laurence Olivier. I showed my love towards him, always supporting him and he supported me in my work. My parents passed down the business to me, whilst, yes, Scott was around, however he had his writing career.

Now a famous published author with a movie adaption coming shortly to the big screens about him and Kelly. He was currently still writing mine and Carter's love story. Couldn't quiet get it right, still always missed something or always had to change some formatting issue or chapter. Constant editing and him relaying late night emails between myself, Carter and him, asking details about various conversations and how we knew. He wanted it right, perfect to be more precise.

Kelly found her calling. Although, I knew from when we were in high school together, I knew what she wanted to do, always do. She fought to where she got to and she was the best at what she was doing. She finally figured that her love for cooking, eventually turned into a published author thanks to her darling husband, my brother. Although, she never got my famous peach pie recipe. My lips were always sealed.

The business was booming. Various events were always happening here at the Vineyard. And with the new expansion, with out b'n'b and outdoor entertainment area, perfect for weddings, engagements or even birthday parties, there was a reason to always come back and stay in the country side. Beautiful, victorian countryside.

I ran the business at home and travel with Carter when I can, following him on his various pursuits and filming. Unfortunately, his latest trip, I was not able to attend. I was running the show for a wedding and then three birthdays. We were always booked and now that the winter months were fading away and spring and summer were upon us, I didn't have a spare weekend.

However, Carter Stanford would always find a way to come back home.

I wondered through until I saw a handsome man, leaning up against a Peach tree. He looked up from his glasses and smiled at me.

"Hello gorgeous."

I always fell for his words. He held out his hand and gripped onto it. He pulled me closer, giving a gentle kiss on my hand. I pulled off the baskets and came closed to him.

"Baking today?" He questioned, looking at the baskets.

"Your favourites." I smiled back at him. "Because I thought you were suppose to be back later this afternoon. Fresh berry and peach pie. Just for you." I kissed him, gently on the lips. His hands wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer.

"Well I wanted to surprise my beautiful girlfriend early." He smiled against my lips, kissing me once more. "But more importantly I came back early to do something."

"Oh and what might that be Mr Stanford?" I pulled away from him, adjusting my hat which was falling. I took my sunnies off and placed them into the basket. Looking down at the basket, I hadn't noticed what was happening right before my eyes.

Down on one knee, holding a small red velvet box in his hands, Carter smiled up towards me. I gasped, my heart started to pound harder.

"Did you know," He started, "that on this day 5 years ago, in this very spot, I kissed the woman of my dreams. Granted she wasn't my woman back then, but I knew she would be some day." He spoke. I could feel the heat stroke about to happen. "I knew I was in love with the most beautiful woman and I have never stopped loving her, not matter what had happened between us. But on this day, 5 years ago, I knew that she loved me too.

"So, Hayley Brownwell, I ask you one last question." He slowly opened the red velvet box in his hands. "Will you do me the honour of loving me for the rest of our lives. Will you honour me and accepting this simply amazing ring that I have spent hours trying to find. Will you honour me till death do us part. Will you love me till the ends of the earth and back. And will- "

He was dragging the question. I rolled my eyes. He caught on.

"Will you marry me?"

"I thought you'd never ask." I leaped and jumped onto him. "I love you Carter Stanford." I accepted his ring and I accepted everything that was coming for us. Till death do us part.

Love seemed to always bring us together, no matter what. And Love came in all weird and wonderful ways.

"I love you." Carter spoke, planting a beautiful and amazing kiss on me.

"Oh, I bet you love me." I giggled at him, he wrapped his arms around me and started to tickle me. I ran away quickly and weaving in and out of the fruit orchards. I was smiling, I was happy and Carter was finally all mine and only mine. And you know the best part.

I love him.

*** The End ***