vii

Downing my best look I could come up with for Kinky Boots. I stood in the hallway, facing a mirror and the small table that sat in front of it. Adjusting my dress, pulling the wrap tie tighter. I looked at my outfit, which was more a costume.

A simple Ruby Red wrap dress, with thin straps and a deep V neck. A black, mesh see-through top, that had long sleeves that capped at the end. The top had polka dots around it. I placed on a black, lacy bralette underneath. I chucked on knee high boots and placed a glitter rose in my hair. My former long blonde hair had gone during the week, today it was short and shoulder length. A slight wave through it.

I applied a quick layer of red lipstick and looked in the mirror. I did a twirl and smiled at myself. I was extremely happy and content at what my night would include.

"Hmm."

I turned and saw my brother, off to the side, leaning against the banister to the staircase.

"Whatever happens tonight, remember I love you."

"Nothing can ruin tonight, Scott." I smiled back at him. "Just remember to wear ear plugs tonight, because I'll be singing my little heart out to the soundtrack of my favourite movie."

He laughed at my comments.

"It's good to see the old you back. I missed this you. The one that dressed up for the theatre." He enveloped me into a hug. He pulled back and kissed my forehead. "Remember, I'm always going to love you."

"I better hope you also love me?" Kelly's voice boomed from he top of the staircase. She smiled as she walked down the stairs case, I admired her outfit. A red velvet dress, high elegant  neck line and the waist that flared out. She wore matching red heels and she smiled.

"I'm always going to love you honey." My brother cooed at the bottom of the steps. "Now if we not hurry, we will miss the opening number. I know how my sister gets about her musicals."

The three of us left the house, turning off a few lights but leaving the front room and front porch light on. We called for a taxi and finally arrived at the theatre. Somewhere on the west end. Everyone was rushing in, I didn't even get a chance to take any photos nor grab a program.

"We will get one at interval." Kelly knew exactly what was on my mind. We finally found out seats, in a private box, in the dress circle. Kelly motioned for me to set in the front seats. We had a box of four seats. She and Scott sat in the back two, leaving me to the front two seats. We sat down, just as the 'Don' had entered the stage, telling the audience to turn their bloody phones off and not to vibrate.

I laughed at the resemblance between the movie Don and this Don.

The characters started to enter the stage and I was in awe of the whole thing. And then the unexpected happened.

"Charlie?" Senior yelled on stage and on came rushing Charlie. But not Joel Edgerton Charlie version, I had grown and loved. But Carter Stanford version of Charlie. My heart flattered and my eyes grew wide. My hands gripped the arm rests and I couldn't breath. I sat there, staring, watching at what was happening.

The Charlie that I grew and loved, was being played by the one man I didn't want to play him.

Throughout the whole first act, I had to keep my mouth shut and imagine that Carter Stanford was indeed not playing Charlie, but someone else was playing him. I had to imagine my heart not beginning broken by the man that was standing on stage at this current moment. I just had to sit there, constantly trying to forget that it was Carter on stage and remember that Joel Edgerton was indeed my Charlie.