Chapter 20

As it turned out, returning home wasn't so dull as I had feared when I first left home, though I have some slight suspicions that if it had not been for the fact that Brigitta was returning home with us, I would most likely have been quite despondent.

All that had happened over the course of my stay at the academy seemed, to my grateful and happy heart, to be one long thread in a plan woven by God to bring me to Him, and to fulfill my dream.

It hardly seemed possible that I was the same girl who used to sit still all day, doing nothing but singing and listening to music. I don't mean to say that I abandoned music; not by a long shot. But I did more than that. 

I had found out, through Josie, that you do not have to see, to do so many things. I could get around on my own, and I went out on long walks, often, with no other companion but my ever faithful Mr. Smith. I had learned, again from Josie, that physical light isn't needed to make one happy if you only have the Light of Christ in your heart. 

I learned, through Brigitta, that loss of loved ones shouldn't estrange you from God. 

And I learned, through my dear Ruby, that physical infirmities are not meant as a punishment from God, but to strengthen our love for Him. I no longer saw God as a cruel being who cared only to exercise His power over the helpless people He had created. No, but I now saw Him as a kind, fatherly being who loves His children and wants them to turn to Him, and love Him in return.

As for Ruby's death, I no longer saw it as a cruel punishment, though I haven't ceased to miss her; I realized, with gratitude, that what she had gone through, strange as it may sound, was for me. 

And I had learned, through Charlotte, a world of music, spiritual, classical and folk, which, not surprisingly, had perhaps been just as important as all the talks I had had with Brigitta, for I found in the spiritual songs we learned together a sort of fountain of light, though I didn't feel it at the start.

On the return home, I mentioned this to Brigitta, and she laughed a little and admitted, Charlotte had chosen those very songs carefully, with advice from her, as well as from Josie.

"What about all your little secrets; yours and Josie's? Were they a plan, too?"

"Yes, actually. You see, when Charlotte heard my story, she suggested the idea to Josie and me, to keep our stories a secret, until you could learn the lesson behind each secret. You did remarkably well," she chuckled at the memory. "I never dreamed you would guess mine so quickly."

"I'm glad, though I must say I felt a little left out when you didn't tell me everything right at the start," I laughed a little.

"Josie never taught you how to knit," she cried, suddenly.

"No, but she will. She promised to teach me when she and Charlotte come to plan the orphanage."

"It's going to be the longest month of my life," Brigitta declared.

"Not for me; I'll be having so much fun just being with you. It still seems too good to be true; we won the competition, and we're going to be sisters, and we're going to start an orphanage!" 

"God is good," she agreed wholeheartedly. 

"I never knew quite how good, until all this started falling into place," I smiled. "It seems so much like a fairytale ending, where they all live 'happily ever after!'" 

"It won't be all easy," Brigitta said seriously, though the smile never quite left her voice. "Taking care of other people's children will be as difficult as being a real mother, from what I've heard, but I'll love it, anyway; I've always loved children."

At home, there was much to do, planning. Father proposed that as soon as Charlotte and Josie should arrive, we should begin to look into the land for the orphanage. It was doubtful, he said, whether we would find a property with a building that would suit our purpose, but, he continued, it shouldn't be any problem to buy the land we wanted, and to build the "house of our dreams."

It was good to be at home, and to no longer be afraid of failure, for all that was past. It was good to have gained a sister and a friend. I missed Ruby, still, but the ache was not so painful, with Brigitta to fill her place. I was so sure that this was what she would have wanted, that I didn't even feel guilty for thinking of Brigitta as my best friend. 

Mr. Smith was a constant companion when we went out walking, always giving his opinion on matters as seriously and wisely as if he had been human.

One evening when we went out walking, Brigitta put the question I had been expecting for some time. "Well, I'm to be adopted soon; what of you? Do you plan to be baptized?"

"I've been considering it, actually. I suppose I ought to, but I don't know how to go about it, and I would be happier if Mother and Father joined, too."

"Leave it to me. I have a feeling they will be more than willing."

She was right. Nearly a month later, with Charlotte and Josie present, our parents and I were baptized, and we began to lay the plans for the orphanage. It was also around this time that Brigitta suggested we call Charlotte "Aunt Charlotte," which pleased her immensely. 

"Wait, that makes me your cousin, doesn't it?" Josie asked. "Yippee!"

Aunt Charlotte laughed.

It truly was a happy time, and building the orphanage provided such excitement that we hardly thought of anything else. 

Yes, as Brigitta had said, God is good!

Hello, again! 20 chapters done, at last, and we're getting so close! Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and comment if you like the chapter.
Also, if you're enjoying this book, please consider voting for it in the New Author Awards, second "Voting (Open)" chapter. Not saying you have to, as always. :) Thanks! Dorothy