Fishing

Eventually, you will need to feed yourself/other people so you need to know how to fish. Fishing is a fun and relaxing way to put food on the table, unless your on a crab ship through a storm like on TV.

•Go where the fish are.
•Find a place where deep water meets shallow water
•Make sure the water you're fishing is clean
•Get a fishing rod and reel
        -A medium-length pole will be appropriate for most beginners.
        -You'll probably want a fairly "loose" rod to get started with.
        -Baitcast reels: spool vertically when you're holding the rod
        -Spinning reels: spool perpendicular to the rod.
        -Closed varieties are generally operated with a push-button
•The smaller the hook and line, the better the chance of a bite.
        -If you've got a rigid pole, you'll want fairly strong test line. If you've got a looser pole, get the lightest gauge you can. Smaller line means more fish.
        -You need hooks that will fit the kind of fish you're planning to catch. Number 1 hooks work well for many things, but size 8 to 5/0 are more appropriate for some fish. Ask an experienced fisher about the hook sizing system (i.e. 6, 4, 2, 1, 1/0,  2/0) and the best tools for the job.
•Choose the right bait
        -Synthetic baits like are made to resemble and smell like live bait, and pro shops are filled with all manner of elaborate and iridescent plastic lures.
        -Fish eat insects and aquatic life, so there are also lots of effective live baits to choose from if you want a more authentic fishing experience.
                >worms
                >salmon eggs
                >grasshoppers
                >shrimp
                >liver
                >bacon
                >cheese
        -You can gather worms in a lawn after a rain or late at night. You can find grasshoppers along the banks of a stream, or try catching minnows with a net and bread crumbs or a minnow trap. Keep them in a bucket full of water and keep them alive for as long as possible.
•Get something to keep the fish in if transporting. Keep the fish alive and fresh.
•Tie your hook on your line

•Attach your weights and bobbers

        -Attach weights (sinkers) to your line about 12" above your bait. By weighting down your line you will keep your bait in place an inch or a few inches above the floor of the water—right where fish are likely to be hunting
        -Using a larger bobber that you can see from the bank makes catching fish much easier. With a bobber, you will be able to see a strike from a fish when the bobber starts to jerk and disappear below the surface of the water. Put on just enough
sinkers, however, to compensate for the larger bobber to prevent being too hard to see the action of the biting fish.
•Bait your hook. Try to pierce the bait as many times on the hook to keep it secured.
•Cast your line. This takes practice.
        -Most beginners will cast side arm, using the same motion used to skip a stone across the water. Bring the rod back to your side and bring it smoothly in the direction you'd like to cast, releasing the line as you point in the right direction.
        -Releasing the line depends somewhat on the type of reel you're using, but if you've got a closed push-button spinner reel, the job is fairly straight forward. Pushing the button releases the line and letting go stops it. When you cock the rod back, push the button, and when you point it, release it.
•Wait quietly. Some fishers will start reeling in very slowly, lightly jerking the bait to give fish the impression that it is alive. Depending on your experience and your bait, you might do this, or you might just sit back and wait. Experiment with different methods until you get a bite. Do not immediately start reeling back in as soon as you've cast, however.
•Hook the fish. Once you feel a tug on the line or feel the line start to be taken, you will want to give your fishing rod a quick and firm jerk backward and up. If you have a fish on line, it will fight back immediately and your line will follow the movements of the fish.
•Pull the fish in by pumping and lifting the rod vertically while simultaneously reeling. Don't use the reel to pull in the fish, except for small fish. Keep the line tight and use your arms to pull it toward you, then reel in the slack line
•Bring your fish in with a net
•Remove the hook. Regardless of keeping or releasing the fish, gently back the hook out, so that it comes out the way it came in. There are special tools designed for taking hooks out, although needle nosed pliers work quite effectively.
•Store the fish alive.