Nothing Good Lasts

The initial shock of the man hugging you wore of quickly, a small smile coming to your face as you hug him back. "It's nice to see you." You hum, pulling back to look up at the freckled man. He pulls back still grinning.

"How have you been?"

"Um...good I guess." You laugh a little. "What about you?"

"I've been alright, come on in! Meet my foster family! Um... Your friend can come too." He glances at Smoker.

"Okay." You nod, smiling a little more and ducking inside the massive house. "This place is amazing..."

"Yeah! Pops buys the best!" He chimes cheerfully.

"Well, that's nice of him." You chuckle, looking around the living room he had led the two of you to. "Oh right. This is Smoker." You tell him, introducing the man with you with a smile.

"Ace, nice to meet you. I hope you've been respectful to my sis." Ace gives him a smile and firm handshake

"He has been don't worry." You giggle, looking between the two. Smoker just offers a smile.

"I would never do anything to upset her- on purpose that is." He assures,

"Right." You nod, looking back to Ace. "So is it just you and your foster parent here?"

"No, we're kind of like a Yakuza family." He admits with a slight chuckle. Your eyes widen a bit and you tilt your head.

"Is that right?"

"Yeah, you'll see." He leads you into a large dining room. "___ and her friend Smoker is here!" He chimes to the group of men and women.

"Welcome ___ and Smoker!"

"Hello." You wave, smiling at everyone. "It's nice to meet everyone." The largest man comes over to you.

"You've become as beautiful as your mother, it's nice to see you're well. Do you remember me?" He offers his hand. You take his hand frowning lightly.

"I'm sorry I don't...."

"That's alright, you were fairly young, and you were always focused on playing games with your brother." He rumbles. "I'm Edward Newgate. It's good to see you again."

"Aren't you a hunter yoi?" A blond man looks at Smoker closely.

"I am." Smoker replies easily.

"Well then, it's nice to see you again. Thank you for taking care of Ace." You hum, eyes going to the blonde speaking with Smoker.

"I thought you were family. Hey Pop, this is the hunter that took down that ghoul that nearly blew our cover." The blond hums.

"Ghoul...?" Smoker echoes.

"Think his name was Krieg." The blond hums.

"Oh, that ghoul." You look over at Smoker with a raised eyebrow, wondering if he knew what they were talking about.

"Oh right, the noisy ex-cop that kept threatening to eat people." Smoker nods.

"A hunter... Why are you traveling with my sister?" Ace questions. Smoker looks at him, glancing at you as if he wasn't really sure how to respond.

"She needed me..."

"Mhmm." You nod, giving Smoker a smile. "He has saved me more times than I can count. If it wasn't for him, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be here." Ace blinks at that.