thirty-one: a little self confidence

When we wake up the next morning, it's to the sound of Gemma moving about the kitchen. She kept letting out rather frustrated groans, slamming cupboards only to let out yet another groan about the fact her head hurt. Niall was still trying to sleep, his face scrunched up as he moves closer to me and I tighten my grip on him. I place a kiss to the top of his head before I let him go, slowly sliding off the air mattress to go see what it was my sister needed. 

"What are you looking for?" I ask her, leaning against the kitchen counter as she lets out another groan. 

"Do you have to speak so loudly?" She asks, rubbing at her temples and I try to hold back a laugh. Gemma was always guaranteed to have a hangover after any family event, I wasn't sure if it was because of the stress of being around our parents for longs periods of time or if it was simply to let lose, but either way I couldn't blame her. 

"I'll make you breakfast, you should go take a shower or something." I tell her, earning an eye roll from Gemma. 

"I'll take a shower after I eat, I can't even stand right now without wanting to throw up everywhere." Gemma admits, sitting down on one of the stools at her kitchen counter. 

"Alright, smell like cheap booze. What do you want for breakfast?" 

"Surprise me." Gemma says, before putting her arms and head onto the counter. I let out a chuckle as I shake my head, opening up her counters in search of anything that would work for a hang over remedy for my sister. I decided to stick with one of the classics from back in the day when both of us lived at home, back before I really knew how to cook anything besides eggs on toast. Niall walks into the kitchen just as I was finishing up with Gemma's breakfast, a tired smile on his face when he catches sight of me. 

"Good morning." He says, Gemma letting out another groan at the noise but Niall says nothing of it. 

"Morning Princess, want something to eat?" I ask him, placing a small kiss to his cheek when he walks over to me. Niall shakes his head, cuddling up into my side a little as I slide Gemma's food onto a plate. 

"I don't really feel like eating right now, maybe in a little while." He whispers, earning a nod from me. 

"So when are you heading over to talk to Dad?" Gemma asks before she starts to eat, looking at me expectantly as I let out a very long sigh. 

"Would it be bad if I just didn't show up?" I asked, keeping my attention on Niall as I rub his back softly.

"H..." Gemma says softly and I already know what she's thinking. The relationship between my father and I was already shit, ignoring his request to see me would only add fuel to the already out of control fire. 

"I know... but I just... I really don't want to hear him talk about how I screwed up my life because I decided to drop out of Uni, or how I made the worst mistake by leaving Rose... It's all he ever talks to me about and I just really don't see the point in having the same conversation." I say quietly, looking away from Niall for just a second to see Gemma giving me a sympathetic smile. 

"Maybe this is your chance to make him see. If you're worried about leaving Niall alone with me, don't be. I'm sure the two of us have lots to talk about where you're concerned." Gemma says, flashing Niall a smile when he looks up at her. He returns it before he looks at me. 

"You should go. I'll be fine with your sister for a few hours." NIall says and I let out a soft sigh. 

"Okay... but I swear to god if you show him baby pictures, I'll kill you." I said, shooting Gemma a look as she holds up her hands in defense.