Catching Up

A/N: I've literally been caught up in the day job project from hell the last few weeks, so please forgive the delay. Thank you so much for your support, always!

It was a couple of hours later before I was able to slow down and think about what happened that day. And it was a lot.

Klaus slept next to me, one arm flung over his head on the pillow. The fine sheets were pulled across his lower body, not covering much of him. And it was certainly a view to enjoy. When he was sleeping, Klaus looked so young, devastatingly handsome. My heart tightened in my chest as I wondered what he’d been like when he was human, maybe when he was my age.

I knew he’d had a terrible childhood mostly because of his abusive father, Mikael. But I liked to think that I saw his human side when we were alone, had a small window into who he really was beneath the hybrid and the scars he’d carried for centuries. In the time we’d been together, he’d trusted me with flashes of the boy who’d wanted to be an artist. A boy who’d just wanted to be loved and accepted. And he’d deserved that. His heritage, the fact that Mikael had not been his biological father? That wasn’t his fault. And my heart ached for him. I wondered if he’d ever believe that I really cared about him when he’d spent centuries suffering through rejection and betrayal.

With a sigh, I snuggled up closer to him, naked as he was, tracing the dark beads of his necklace with my finger. My body was sore in all the right places from earlier and I smiled. I had to admit, it wouldn’t be a hardship spending eternity trying to show him he was loved. If we got eternity. Things were such a mess right now…

“Can’t sleep, love?” he murmured, his beautiful eyes slitting open to look at me.

“Well, it wasn’t for lack of trying on your part,” I teased him.

Grinning, he flashed those dimples at me. “Well, if at first you don’t succeed…”

I had to laugh as he rolled me under him, pinning my lower body down with his own. His necklace just touched the skin of my chest. The heated length of him burned me through the sheets. He was definitely ready for another round it seemed. His lips were a gentle press on mine and his kiss was patient, slow.

After a moment, he pulled back, staring down at me. His expression slowly grew concerned.

“Have a lot on your mind then?” he asked.

I couldn’t hide anything from him, it seemed. Probably another reason why he’d chased me so intently, why he was still interested in me at all. I was pretty transparent. He’d been able to see how I felt about him even when I worked hard at denying it. And now that I was with him? He could always read me like a book. It had good points and bad.

Rolling onto his back, he pulled me with him until my head was resting on his chest.

“Well, let’s have it,” he urged.

“You just took off,” I started, remembering the first thing that had happened today with Davina coughing up dirt. “You didn’t tell me what you were up to.”

“Time was of the essence,” he explained. “I knew you and my brothers and my witches would be all about saving our young magical guest and thought my time, and that of Rebekah and Stefan, would be better served elsewhere.”

“Your witches, huh? Kol might take issue with that.”

“He can certainly try.” Klaus smirked.

I laughed at that. Some things didn’t change.

“So you guys went out to find a boy she likes and a gay vampire dude who she’s friends with?”