Medea and Ares

"What's going on?" Ares demanded frantic. "She dropped out of the dreamscape and--"

"She says they're doing something to Adonis." I swallowed hard, realizing this was yet another deadline on the plate. The pressure kept mounting, and I was out of ideas and time. "Whatever it is, it's bad."

He nodded, eyes thoughtful. "Okay, the gods agreed to your terms, but I think your friend is right. There's no waiting for tomorrow. I can rally them. We'll take over the shield and stabilize the island long enough to get our people. But there might be a gap between you letting go and us taking over."

"And if we all die during that gap?" I asked him, remembering the earthquake that had "killed" so many islanders and decimated the dining hall.

He swore, raking his fingers through his dark hair as he thought. "Don't drop the shield. Shrink it to the area immediately around the hospital. That's where the rest of our people are. Get her there, bring your friend. Shrink the shield. If you can get into the wing where Hades and the others are, so much the better."

"But--"

"Get there!" He called, shoving me out of the dreamscape. "I'll take care of the rest."

My eyes snapped open and I bolted upright as Aphrodite let out another pained cry.

"What did they say?" Otrera asked, standing worriedly beside Aphrodite.

I filled her in while I yanked on my shoes and glanced around for something, anything that could help us.

"We can't carry her all the way there!" Otrera objected. "And once we get there, what do we do? There are people in that wing right now. Obviously." She waved a hand toward Aphrodite. "They're doing something there."

"They won't be expecting us?" I offered weakly.

Otrera swore, and glanced around the cabin. Her gaze landed on the fireplace set and she grabbed a poker for herself and a tiny shovel for me. "We still have to get her there without drawing any attention."