7. Non-Valentine

He didn’t realize it until their surprise party for Lola Linda was over and he was back in his Ate April’s guest room.

With a smile that never left his face since they left Bulacan, he took his phone out and composed a text to Dei, the memory of her face not giving him a moment’s respite. He scrolled through his contacts and felt like a bucket of iced water was poured over his head.

He pulled at his hair and groaned in frustration. “Tangina! Stupid! Stupid! How can you not remember to get her number? Paano, RJ?!”

He wanted to check with his Lola if she was able to get Dei’s number but he knew she was deep in slumber after this long and tiring day. Guess he’s gonna have to wait till tomorrow.

That night, he fell asleep and dreamed of holding Dei’s hands as her face, her limbs and her body faded into darkness, until he was only holding air.

***

“Good morning, Menggay! Happy Valentines! Kumusta naman ang kaibigan kong umabot ang haba ng buhok from NLEX to SLEX and back? Ano na? Buhay pa ba si Pogi?” Sheena asked as she barged into her room, a playful smile on her face.

“Che! Valentines mo mukha mo!” Dei muttered, as she put on her lipstick, her lips pursed and her brows scrunched together in irritation.

“Hala sya. What happened? Kelangan ba nating idispatsa ang katawan nya?”

“Gaga! Hay nako, Sheena, tumigil ka! Etong si Ark talaga, ang chismosa.” She popped her lips in front of the mirror and faced her. “But to answer your question. Wala. Nganga. Hopia.”

“HOPIA?! BAKET HOPIA?! Hindi ba sya pumasa kay Tito Ted? Pinakita saken ni Ark yung resibo ah. Besh! Ang pogi eh. Atchaka yung dimple, ehmergerd!” Sheena exclaimed as she fluttering her lashes and tucking an imaginary strand of hair behind her ear.

“Sheeeens! Wag kang maingay! Alas kwatro pa lang ng umaga ok. Basta nganga. Nagpaalam kay Tatay if he could take me out on a date tapos di naman kinuha number ko.” She was disappointed to be honest because really how could he have forgotten? Or did he do it on purpose? But why?

“HO-PIA, MANI, PAPKORN!” Sheena clapped her hands in front of her face startling her. “Oh eh bat tulala ka? Nanghinayang ka? Gwapo eh no? Sayang jackpot na sana, naging bato pa.”

“Ay nako, Sheena, halika na nga. Baka mahuli tayo sa flight natin. Susunduin pa natin si Ark!”

“Ashushushu, don’t me, Nicomenggay! Don’t me!”

***

He woke up with a start, panting from his dream and remembering his stupid, stupid mistake. He was so excited about how he’d ask Dei out that he forgot about that one very important detail. Good thing he knew where she lives.

He hurriedly got off the bed but tripped when his foot got caught in his blanket. He winced as he ran to his Lola’s bedroom, rubbing his bruised knee as he did so. “Lola!” He opened the door startling the old lady who was reading the Bible on the bed.

“Tano ba nama’t umagang umaga ay nasigaw ka, Ricardo!? At bakit nakangiwi ka dyan?”

“Sorry po, La. May number po ba kayo ni Dei?” He asked, settling himself beside his Lola Linda.

“Eh bakit, di mo ba nakuha?”

“Eh, La…” He rubbed his nape and smiled shyly.

“Hay nako, Richard! Mababatukan kita eh. Bakit di mo kinuha?! Hindi ko nga din nakuha e.” She laughed softly as she lightly hit her grandson’s nape with her hand, amused at her panicking grandson.

“Paano na yan, La? Puntahan ko na lang kaya sa kanila?”

“Ng gantong oras? Martes ngayon, Apo. Valentines pa. Malamang trapik yan. Wag na. Sa weekend ka na dumalaw. Baka makaistorbo ka pa sa kanila.”

“Eh La, namimiss ko na si Dei.” He said, his hands irritably rubbing his face. Tanga, tanga, tanga!

“Haruuuu, ang apo ko!” She teased, pinching her grandson’s cheeks. “Di ko nga nakuha ang numero ni Menggay. Pero... nakuha ko naman ang number ng Nanay nya kasi baka sakaling magplano kaming manood ng Eat Bulaga sa birthday ni Maine.”

“YES! YES! You’re the best, La!” He shouted, punching his fist high in the air, kissing his Lola firmly on the cheek and sporting a huge grin on his face.

“Asus, RJ! Gusto mo na talaga si Nicomaine ano?”

“Oo naman, La. What’s not to like about her?”

“Tama ka, apo. Galingan mo pangliligaw ha?” To which RJ only grinned in response, too happy that he now has a way to reach her when he thought he might never get the chance to talk to her again.

It was only seven in the morning so he waited for a reasonable hour before calling Dei’s mother to ask permission to visit only to be disappointed once again.

Although Tita Mary Ann gave him her daughter’s number, he didn’t want to intrude as she was on vacation. He took one heavy footstep after another as he figured out how he’d kill time until she returned.

Dei left early this morning for a week-long vacation in Singapore.

A/N:

As promised, dahil tapos ko nang isulat ang AMAcon 4.5 , here's the next chapter. Salamat po sa naghintay. ❤

Unbeta'd and not proofread. (Opo, sa tagal na nasa drafts ko to, di ko pa magawang iproofread because realidad, huhu)

As usual, let me know what you think by commenting down below or tweeting me at @bankingonkismet. 😊