Part 2

Author's Note: A shoutout to Willowy Whisper. This first started as an entry to the short story contest she ran called 'A Lonesome Place'. I didn't win which I am grateful for now as it inspired me to rework the story. The "lonesome place" line is still included below as a tribute to her.

Jacey watched Mitchell all throughout the service as he sang the songs with a deep baritone, found the scriptures without using the index, and took notes during the sermon with a scrawly backhand. She remembered how he had heard about Jesus for the first time, that summer he stayed with them, raising his hand in a commitment pledge the last Sunday before he left.

At the end of the service, she went towards him as if in a dream, all fogged up with memories of him. She did not get there fast enough. Pamela was already commanding his attention. Disappointment welled up within her snapping her throat shut. Still she hovered nearby until he saw her, surprising her with a crushing hug. She breathed in the woody scent of his aftershave, so different from how he used to smell. When he released her, he said, "All these years, I promised myself I'd come back here and play a duet with you. You won last time, remember?"

She giggled. "I'll still beat you, you know. I've been practising. Last I heard you were living in Perth? Why are you here and not staying with us?"

"I'm actually driving to Mount Gambier on a work trip. I only realised late last night I could detour through here and catch up with you all after church."

"Mum and Dad are away for the weekend. They'll be so sorry they didn't see you."

"I insist on you both coming to my house now for lunch," Pamela interjected with a stunning beam. "We can catch up like old times."

Jacey froze just long enough for Mitchell to glance at her and then accept the invitation.

That miserable afternoon was filled with Pamela's infectious laughter. Her best jokes spiced every conversational pause and Jacey was muted by her brilliance.

Then Pamela leaned over, resting her manicured fingers on Mitchell's jacket before saying, "You must come to our little party on Friday night. It'll only take you a couple of hours to drive over."

"You could stay with us," Jacey got out quickly, "Mom and Dad will be back by then."

Pamela's large green eyes became slits, but her voice was warm and gushing, "There you see, you can come for the weekend and we can catch up properly."

But Mitchell would not be going to the dance now, because of her.

​An impatient huff came from her mother, pulling Jacey from her thoughts.

"Get that mopey look off your face, hop into your dress and start doing your hair. I'll ring Tracey right now and insist you be allowed to attend. No daughter of hers is going to exclude a daughter of mine."

"No Mom. Don't. I don't want to go. I'll go hang out at the beach instead."

Before her mother could argue, she went to the back door, yanked on her flowered gumboots and ran down the path that was muddy from the recent deluge, dodging puddles until she reached the lookout. The salty wind shivered freshness throughout her body. She could see the strip of beach that was her lonesome place. The place she had gone to throughout the years, when the price of Pamela's friendship seemed too high. Something about turbulence of the waves always calmed her down.

This time, her jaw dropped. The brown waves, fouled by river water, had left a cappuccino-like froth on the sand. It looked so clean and fresh and bubbly that she longed to touch it, play with it, forget. She wriggled free of her boots and jumped down. A seagull swooped in front of her, perching on a blackened branch that was sticking up out of the foam.

Jacey went forward then stopped. Ringing the pristine foam was a section splattered with dirt that rippled when the wind caught it, as if an eel was slithering underneath. She shuddered as she looked at it. How like her heart it was. Then she picked up her pace, running towards it. At the last second, she leapt so that she landed in the clean section, her feet embracing the cold water that lapped around her before receding, revealing a strand of green kelp. Its sleek holdfast looked like a weapon. She picked it up.

Last night, her phone had been a weapon when she'd rang every unattached male invited and told them that Pamela's party was cancelled. Starting with Mitchell.

Her phone began humming and Jacey's heart plunged before she realised it was only Tilly.

"Hi Jacey are you all ready for the dance? I've got the most gorgeous dress and I've decided, tonight I'm going to get down on my knee and ask Adam to marry me. We've finished high school. It's time. He just needs a little nudge. I want our special song played while I propose? Is that ok?"

Jacey stammered something Tilly took for agreement. The seagull was gazing at her with knowing eyes. An uncomfortable feeling settled in her stomach. It was not only Pamela who would be furious with her tonight, but Tilly and Poppy and Evangeline. It would be her fault their night was ruined. Just because she wanted to protect Mitchell from himself, because she feared he would become like all the rest of Pamela's love zombies.

"God?" she asked, looking up at the light-streaked sky. A trembling went through her, a tingling in all her senses as she waited for a response. There was no answer, except a clenching in her chest, but she knew what she should do.

What do you think Jacey should do?

Thank you for continuing to read this! Personally I like Part 3 the best, but if you like what you've read so far, please like, comment and share. Thank you!