Nefertiti: A Day in Her Time

Nefertiti stood on the balcony of the palace, staring out into the distance. The heat rippled off the brick that paved the roads outside the palace. She sighed. Turning, she went to leave the balcony. Today was going to be a hard day. Today she would wed Thutmose, the heir to Misr’s throne.

She stared at the ground where her feet moved in and out of the gently swishing fabric of her nearly see-through linen skirt. Was this what she wanted? She didn’t know. Did it even matter? As Thutmose’s Chief Wife, she would be exalted as the wife of a god.

Yes, but it comes at the cost of being locked into a marriage with a man you hardly know. One part of her mind argued. The other part whispered quietly to her, soothing the fears. You’ve known Thutmose your entire life. You grew up with him. You’ve been raised for this, Nefertiti. You can do it. She kept her gaze on the floor, hurrying down the hall.  

She banged into something hard. Looking up, she found Thutmose standing there, smiling down at her with that usual mischievous twinkle in his eyes. A blush fought its way into her cheeks and she dropped her gaze. She had just run face first into his bare chest.

“Going somewhere?” Thutmose’s deep voice rumbled causing tingles to erupt down her spine.

She couldn’t deny that he attracted her, but was it enough in a marriage? Besides, Thutmose had always been mysterious and closed with her – still was – and she didn’t know if she could handle a marriage in which her husband continuously kept secrets from her.

She nipped the thought in the bud. She could do far worse than Thutmose. He was always kind to her, and he would see to it that she was happy and well-cared for once they were wed. Still, she couldn’t quite kill the awful doubts crowding her mind.

“Nefertiti?” Thutmose took hold of her arms.

She snapped out of her reverie. “What?”

“Are you going somewhere particular?” He repeated.

“Uh… No… I mean, I was… I don’t know. Why?” She stammered.

He grinned. “Well then, you’re coming with me.” He commanded, tugging her forward.

Honestly, this boy is always so full of energy and completely oblivious to how demanding he is of others… Why can’t he be more laid back like his brother, Amenhotep? Nefertiti held in her sigh as she followed her fiancée. “Thutmose, please… Slow down!” She pleaded.

He slowed some, still holding her hand and caressing the inside of her palm with his fingers. Smiling, he tucked an arm about her waist as they walked. “Sorry. I forget that my pace is exhausting for some.”

She nodded, grimacing. “Believe me, I noticed.”

He smirked. “You don’t say?”

“I do say.” She said, voice falling flat on her ears.

That didn’t come out right. Why is it that I always snap at Thutmose when I’m with him? Is that an indication that we aren’t meant together? Nefertiti pondered this for a minute, but she pushed it away. There was no choice for her in this matter. Her father, Ay, and his sister, Tiye, wanted her wed to Tiye’s son, Thutmose, and so it would be. She sighed.

“What is wrong, my beautiful one?” Thutmose murmured against her ear, pulling her into a shadowed alcove.

She looked at her feet. “Nothing.”

“Something is most definitely wrong. You look like you’ve eaten a handful of soured dates.” Thutmose gave her a frown.

She knew he wouldn’t give up, so she gave in, heaving another sigh. “I don’t know if I can do it…”