Genesis 32:1-32:32

Jacob Prepares to Meet Esau

32 Jacob👨 also went on🔛 his way, and the angels👼 of God met🤝 him. 2 When Jacob👨 saw👀 them👥, he said🗣️, “This is the camp🎪 of God❗” So he👨 named that place Mahanaim.

3 Jacob👨 sent📤 messengers✉️ 🅰️ahead👤 of him👨 to2️⃣ his brother Esau👨🏻 in the land🗺️ of Seir, the country🌐 of Edom. 4 He instructed🗣️ them👥: “This is what you are to2️⃣ say🗣️ to2️⃣ my lord Esau👨🏻: ‘Your servant Jacob👨 says🗣️, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now. 5 I have 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫cattle🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥 and 🐴donkeys🐎, 🐏sheep🐑 and 🐐goats, male♂️ and female♀️ servants. Now I am sending📤 this message✉️ to2️⃣ my lord, that I may find favor😍 in your eyes👁️👁️.’”

6 When the messengers✉️ returned to2️⃣ Jacob👨, they👥 said🗣️, “We👥 went to2️⃣ your brother Esau👨🏻, and now he👨 is coming to2️⃣ meet🤝 you, and four hundred4️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ men👬 are with him👨🏻.”

7 In great fear😥 and distress😫 Jacob👨 divided➗ the people👥 who were with him👨 into2️⃣ two2️⃣ groups👥, and the 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫flocks🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥, and 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫herds🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥 and 🐪camels🐫 as well. 8 He thought🤔💭, “If Esau👨🏻 comes and attacks one1️⃣ group👥, the group👥 that is left⬅️ may escape.”

9 Then Jacob👨 prayed🙏🗣️, “O God of my father Abraham👴, God of my father Isaac👨🏼, Lord, you who said🗣️ to2️⃣ me, ‘Go back🔙 to2️⃣ your country🌐 and your relatives, and I will make you prosper☺️,’ 10 I am unworthy😥 of all the kindness☺️ and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff🏑🏒 when I crossed✝️ this Jordan, but now I have 🐝become two2️⃣ camps🎪. 11 Save me, I pray🙏, from the hand🤚 of my brother Esau👨🏻, for4️⃣ I am 🅰️afraid😱 he will come and attack me, and also the mothers👵 with their children👶👦👧. 12 But you have said🗣️, ‘I will surely ⛏️⚒️make🛠️🔨 you prosper☺️ and will make your descendants👶👦👧 like the sand🏖️ of the sea🗺️, which ❎cannot❎ be🐝 counted#️⃣.’”

13 He👨 spent the 🌙night🌙 there, and from what he👨 had with him👨 he👨 selected a🅰️ gift🎁 for4️⃣ his brother Esau👨🏻: 14 two hundred2️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ female♀️ goats🐐 and twenty2️⃣0️⃣ male♂️ goats🐐, two hundred2️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ ewes🐂 and twenty2️⃣0️⃣ rams🐃, 15 thirty3️⃣0️⃣ female♀️ 🐪camels🐫 with their young👶, forty4️⃣0️⃣ cows🐮 and ten🔟 bulls🐂, and twenty2️⃣0️⃣ female♀️ 🐴donkeys🐎 and ten🔟 male♂️ 🐴donkeys🐎. 16 He put them in the care of his servants, each 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫herd🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥 by itself, and said🗣️ to2️⃣ his👨 servants, “Go 🅰️ahead of me, and keep some space ➡️between⬅️ the 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫herds🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥.”

17 He instructed🗣️ the one1️⃣ in the lead: “When my brother Esau👨🏻 meets🤝 you and asks🗣️, ‘Who do you 🐝belong to2️⃣, and where are you going, and who owns all these 🐬🐟🦈🐙🐨🐼🐺🦊🦁🐯🦀🐍🐧🦌🐘 🦏🐿️🦅🦑🐊animals🐌🦂🦇🐻🐅🐆🐒🦍🐳🐋 in front of you❓’ 18 then you are to2️⃣ say🗣️, ‘They 🐝belong to2️⃣ your servant Jacob👨. They are a🅰️ gift🎁 sent to2️⃣ my lord Esau👨🏻, and he is coming 🐝behind us👥.’”

19 He👨 also instructed🗣️ the second🥈, the third🥉 and all the others who followed the 🐮🐄🐷🐖🐗🐪🐫herds🐏🐑🐔🐓🐣🐤🐥: “You are to2️⃣ say🗣️ the same thing to2️⃣ Esau👨🏻 when you meet🤝 him👨🏻. 20 And be🐎 sure to2️⃣ say🗣️, ‘Your servant Jacob👨 is coming 🐝behind us👥.’” For4️⃣ he thought🤔💭, “I will pacify☮️ him👨🏻 with these 🎁gifts🎁 I am sending📤 on🔛 🅰️ahead; later, when I see him👨🏻, perhaps he will receive📥 me👨. 21 So Jacob’s👨 🎁gifts🎁 went on🔛 🅰️ahead of him👨, but he himself👨 spent the 🌙night🌙 in the camp🎪.

Jacob Wrestles With God

22 That 🌙night🌙 Jacob👨 got up🆙 and took his two2️⃣ wives👭, his two2️⃣ female♀️ servants👯 and his eleven1️⃣1️⃣ sons👬 and crossed✝️ the ford of the Jabbok. 23 After he had sent📤 them 🅰️across✝️ the stream🏞️, he👨 sent📤 over all his possessions💼. 24 So Jacob👨 was left⬅️ 🅰️alone, and a🅰️ man wrestled🤼🤼‍♂️🤼‍♀️ with him👨 till 🌄daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he👨 could ❌not❌ 💥💢overpower💢💥 him👨, he 👉touched👈 the socket of Jacob’s👨 hip so that his hip was wrenched as he👨 wrestled🤼‍♀️🤼‍♂️🤼 with the man. 26 Then the man said🗣️, “Let me go, for4️⃣ it is 🌄daybreak.”

But Jacob👨 replied🗣️, “I will ❌not❌ let you go unless you bless😇 me.”

27 The man asked🗣️ him👨, “What is your name❓”

“Jacob👨,” he answered🗣️.

28 Then the man said🗣️, “Your name will ❌no❌ longer be🐝 Jacob👨, but Israel👴🏻, because you have struggled😖 with God and with humans👥 and have overcome.”

29 Jacob👨 said🗣️, “Please tell🗣️ me your name.”

But he replied🗣️, “Why do you ask🗣️ my name❓” Then he blessed😇 him👨 there.

30 So Jacob👨 called📞 the place Peniel, saying🗣️, “It is 🐝because I saw God face👤 to2️⃣ face👤, and yet my life was spared.”

31 The 🌞sun🌞 rose🌄 🅰️above⬆️ him👨 as he👨 passed Peniel, and he👨 was limping 🐝because of his hip.32 Therefore4️⃣ to2️⃣ this ☀️day☀️ the Israelites do ❌not❌ eat the tendon attached to2️⃣ the socket of the hip, 🐝because the socket of Jacob’s👨 hip was 👉touched👈 near the tendon.