chocolate

//

Maine doesn't know where to sit; she felt completely out of place. Alden brought both Cass, whom he calls Cassie, as well, and their baby, Calley. The kid is already a smart three-year-old, and she's surprised, dahil sabi ni Alden, two years pa lang daw silang kasal. Her creative mind weaved the story in her head and tried to do the math. They're already married for two years, but the kid's already three. Ano'yun? They were together, then had a kid, then decided to get married a year after? Or he just got her pregnant that's why he decided to marry her out of responsibility? Impossible. Alden looked so in love and contented Maine wished he would glance at her, even just for once. So.. he married her and fell in love after?

All these possible plots in her mind were making her dizzy. Damn her writer side. Why did she ask him to bring his wife and kid, anyway? She wanted to catch up and just be friends again, you know... the usual. Wala naman kasi syang masyadong kinakausap na kaibigan na. Karamihan, wala na sa Pilipinas, 'yung iba, masyadong busy sa pamilya.

Why did she come back in the first place? Her aunt was asking her not to.

//

"Dito ka na mag-asawa."

"Tita, gusto ko Pinoy."

"Maraming Pinoy dito."

"Mas marami sa Pilipinas."

"Mas maraming Pinoy sa Pilipinas o nasa Pilipinas 'yung Pinoy na gusto mo?"

"Tita naman."

//

But maybe choosing your ex as a possible friend-again-material was not the best choice.

Calley was making a fuss and her face was in an absolute mess because of the cake slice she's eating. Chocolate. Usual for kids. The young girl was seated beside her, or it's more like – she sat beside the kid because sitting beside Alden would be too uncomfortable for the four of them. Cassie – or Cass na lang siguro ang itatawag nya in her head, because maybe Cassie is too Alden-ish for Maine to use – started fumbling through her things to get tissues, probably, but Maine was quicker. She carefully wiped Calley's mouth clean, and the kid just cackled then grinned at her.

Maine felt warm, because not having a kid at thirty-four makes her so envious of this perfect family picture.

"You always carry baby wipes with you?"

Just before she could even answer, Alden laughed and replied to his wife for her.

"Sipunin kasi 'yan, kaya kumpleto lagi dala nyan. Tissue, baby wipes, vicks, neozep, face mask. Akala mo naglalakad na mercury drug."

Maine could feel her cheeks heating. At thirty-four. Yes. At thirty-four, she was blushing.

"Don't embarrass me in front of your wife. I should be perfect ex, you know," she joked around, hoping Cass would get her humor and not be offended.

Cass laughed loudly, but still, looked divine. How convenient.

"Oh – you have no idea how perfect you were in his stories, Maine."

//