Chapter 27

"What the-" Jack, clearly baffled, stumbles over himself.

"Pitch." North growls.

"Again? Ugh!" He paces back and forth. "I'm so sick of that guy. I thought he was dead or something!"

"Guardians..." North started, but stopped himself in his tracks.

"Guardians what?" I ask.

"I was going to say that guardians don't die." He finished. "But Pitch isn't a guardian, and..."

I stop and watch as North and Jack disappear around a corner, Tooth flies through the workshop. My heart races.

The yetis scramble amongst themselves, and I find myself stumbling around the place as well.

Sandy flies in.

And finally, I hear an odd sound before being swept into the arms of Bunny. His eyes don't meet mine, but he holds me close to his chest bridal-style. He starts to rush into the room where the others are, but then jumps up and hops off of the wall, ricocheting until we crash through the window on the roof. He covers my face as the glass shatters into small beads of sharp little shits. I feel them slice up my arms and legs. I whimper into his chest.

"It won't last long." He whispers. We land, but immediately fall into a hole, sending us to...

The shore. In the park.

"What... is this?" I ask as he puts me on the ground. I brush myself off with my sleeves.

"My warren is being watched. I assume your house is, too, I don't want to risk it." Bunny sighs, putting a hand on my head.

"I hope you know that Pitch is, uh, making a return. A big one." He pulls his hand back, but I grab it into mine. "Please don't leave me again."

"That's not what I'm doing." He replied, yanking his hand from mine and placing it behind his back. "And, they're not just watching locations. They're watching you."

Suddenly, a huge boomerang zooms past me before I can even comprehend it. I'm grabbed and lifted. Below my dangling legs, I see Bunny look up at me.

"Woa-ah!"

I turn my head to find a black sanded shadow of Pitch, gripping me. Bunny jumps up high, grabbing a hold of my ankle.

"OAHCH" I yelp, feeling painful suction on my knee and hip. IF THIS BOY DISLOCATES MY LEG I SWEAR TO GOD. "LET GO!!!"

"He'll take you!" Bunny screams.

"And you're going to rip my leg off!" I kick my leg free, causing Bunny to land back into the ground before I start to struggle out of the shadow's grip, punching it in the face. "You need to let me defend myself, Bunnymund!"

He stops, staring at me and gulps in fear. His arms fall to his sides. I watch as he fades out of view.

I'll kill Pitch.