Chapter 4 : The Hangout

A couple of days later, Liang visited Mr.Chang's supermarket to purchase some groceries for his mother. Given the need for some pocket money, JingYu had offered to work as the cashier after school, letting Mr.Chang take a break every evening.

"Oh hey. " Liang greeted upon recognizing JingYu.

JingYu simply nodded back, scanning Liang's purchases one by one. Silence ensued for the next few minutes while the payment was being done.

"By the way, sorry for that day." JingYu hesitantly spoke as Liang was about to leave.

Liang stared at him in confusion. "Ha?.. You mean.."

"I mean that day in school.. I pushed you." JingYu reminded.

"Oh...that. I thought you were referring to that joke the other night." Liang responded.

"What joke?

"Um..well...the one about Weizhou." Liang answered uncomfortably.

JingYu thought for a moment and giggled. "You thought it was a joke?" He said carelessly.

Liang fumed.

"Um excuse me I don't have all day." The next customer interrupted.

JingYu ignored the customer and continued to await Liang's response.

"Uh sorry Mrs.PeNi.." Liang replied to the customer and gestured for her to take the spot before walking out after sparing one cold glance at JingYu.

                                **********

"He did?" Mr.Xu asked Mr.Chang who dropped by for tea next evening.

"Yes., trust me I was just as surprised." Mr.Chang responded.

"So he and Weizhou participated together and won? I didn't even know they were friends."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, Weizhou never mentioned anything."

"Hmmm..as you may have come to learn, JingYu isn't exactly the town's favorite. I was really hesitant when he asked to work as the cashier after school because I know he'd intentionally or not drive potential customers away."

Mr.Xu nodded slightly. "Well I did hear a few things from here and there.. but people tend to exaggerate you know. He's still getting used to living in a small town after all."

"True, this is why I'm really glad that he and Weizhou are friends. That kid is a good influence on him." Mr.Chang admitted.

"Well how about you two have dinner here next Friday?" Mr.Xu suggested.

Mr.Chang smiled brightly. "That would actually be wonderful!"

                                      **********

Weizhou and Liang were enjoying a snack outside after school the next day.

"Here you can have mine as well." Liang offered the remaining half of his.

"Huh? You don't like it? Weizhou asked without accepting it.

"Nah you seem to love it, so take it." Liang offered again smiling.

Weizhou smiled adorably as he took it. While he focused on eating, he felt a quick smooch on his left cheek.

"Hey!" Weizhou shyly drew back.

"What?" Liang smiled.

"Nothing." Weizhou said coyly and kept on enjoying the snack.