Ch. 1- People Who Give Up Are Pussies and Gutless

After thirty minutes of non-stop screaming and arguing, I forgot what we were fighting about and she walked away. Turning around and walking the opposite direction, I sighed.

She's going to break down, I thought. Arguments like this always ended that way. The gravel crunched beneath her feet and then she stomped through the dry grass and plants. She was going by the water, to release everything and let go. I knew it. I also knew that if I stopped her, things wouldn't get better.

Three minutes went by quickly and I couldn't see her anymore so I went to grab my pack. I unlatched the small, yet soft sleeping bag and waited a few more minutes. After a moment, which felt like half a fucking hour, I walked a few meteres to where she was. Above her special place, I set down the sleeping bag and lit a candle to keep the bugs away. I then kicked off my shoes and layed there for a while, watching the sun go down. After a few minutes it was beyond the horizon and I counted the stars when they appeared.

I closed my eyes immediately when I noticed her coming back up. I didn't hear her at first, but then I felt her slightly generating heat as usual. She was always so warm, feeling amazing on my cold skin.

I felt her eyes scanning me, looking for anger or frustration. I showed no sign of it so she layed down next to me and sighed. She kept her distance, which was upsetting since I wanted to cuddle more than ever. When I opened my eyes, I saw that she was laying further away than I thought and she was on her side facing the water, not me. Damn her.

After a brief non-awkward silence propped myself on my elbows. Reaching over and touching her side, I nudged it gently. She readjusted her position and turned further away from me. Good thing I had long arms so I could place my arm over her waist, reaching the center of her abdomen and pulling her towards me. We were now facing each other with her eyes still closed, but distant and she turned back around. I attempted to pull her closer, but she wouldn't move. One more time. Then I'll leave her be. So I had done that with no victory and layed back down while taking a big breath.

I closed my eyes for a bit and felt her come closer. Oh no. Conceal, don't feel, don't let her know.

She got close, too close. I felt my heart speed up and then she whispered, "I don't like people who give up."