3: Hooked on a Feeling

Gentle wisps of air tugged at the hem of my dress, pulling me along the cobblestone path where the sound of my footsteps mixed with the footsteps of others following down the same road. A few shops had their wares displayed out front; bits and baubles glittered and shined, enticing people into their stores for more. Sometimes we had done the same, but on the particularly windy days, we spent more time chasing hats down the street than actually selling them.

The rich scent of savoury herbs mixed with the heady smell of spirits guided my eyes to a small veranda where tables had been placed outside for patrons to enjoy the cuisine and the sunshine. Several ladies sat at one of the tiny wooden tables in their summer dresses, wearing floral hats that I recognized as my creations. I bit down a smile as I watched them complimenting each other for their purchase. Seeing all my hard work appreciated helped me understand how my father felt and why he was so passionate about his shop. Moments like this reminded me why I couldn't give up.

A lady giggled uproariously over what must have been a great joke and when I glanced over again I happened to recognize the gentleman who had spoken. With his newly acquired top hat resting on his knee, he was a hard face to forget.

One of the ladies tried to touch his shoulder, but he ducked away from her before she could reach for him.

My hand clenched into a ball in my pocket.

Another offered him a sip of her drink of which he politely declined.

My chest tightened up.

What was this I was feeling? Didn't he do something similar to me not too long ago?

They say he charms people, my thoughts reminded me sagely, but my heart couldn't take it. I ducked away from the patio and out of view before I could embarrass myself.

Leave it to me to have an emotional meltdown over a man whose name I didn't even know, all because he gave his attention to me for five minutes. Why was I getting worked up about this though? Lettie handles men like him daily! Maybe I felt it more because I never got the admiration she did. I would be lying to myself if I said I wasn't jealous of the attention she got from her suitors, but that wasn't her fault. She was blessed with mothers looks, and I took after our father. Not that I hated the way I looked, no I loved that I shared my father's dusty brown hair and brown eyes but put me next to Lettie with her soft golden hair and bright blue eyes and it was no contest.

I turned the corner into a back alley and sank against the cool bricks to calm my frayed nerves. I closed my eyes and counted backwards in my head.
10. . .
9. . .
8. . .
7. . .

"Sophie?" A voice asked.

I turned to see the man walking towards me holding his top hat in one hand, a slow smile spreading across his face. Beautifully combed back blonde hair, tight-fitting suit and a sharp jawline. It was hard to forget such a man.

"Hats are for wearing you know," I pointed to the one in his hand while internally slapping myself for saying something so tactless.

He held the hat in both hands and placed it neatly on his head, still smiling at me.

"Yes I know, it's just such a lovely piece that I didn't want to ruin it." He stopped and leaned against the wall next to me.

Why did he follow me out here? Was it pity? I wasn't dressed well enough to be seen with a man like him. I thought of the sundresses the ladies wore and felt a twinge of jealousy. He should be back there with them, not in an alley next to me.

"You're Howl, aren't you?" I guessed.

His smile disappeared momentarily but quickly was replaced.