17: Bittersweet

The shop was just as I had remembered it; teal coloured walls, rich mahogany displays, glossy marble floors and chocolate as far as the eye could see. I knew the instant we walked in that Markel approved because he was giddy with excitement. I found it funny that his reaction was so similar to Lettie's the first time we came here.

I had brought Markel to our favourite patisserie, Silk. Esmerelda was the chef of this patisserie. She was a tall, lithe woman with dark wild hair braided helter-skelter with bits of colourful silk weaved throughout. Her bright hair mimicked her clothes and aprons, making her a hard to miss. 

If I could describe her in a word, it would be mighty. To spend each and everyday pulverizing cocoa seeds and transforming them into chocolate was an impressive feat. 

Esmerelda imported some of the finest chocolate in the world and shaped it into works of art. I wondered if I could even bring myself to eat such a delicate masterpiece after all she put into it. Her dedication to perfection was something I truly admired, and often when we came for a visit, we'd sit in her shop and watch her work magic.

The owner of the shop didn't acknowledge our presence at first. She was elbows deep into a massive copper bowl of white chocolate, scraping it out onto a metal sheet. I checked on Markel to make sure he wasn't drooling on the marble floors as we watched her spread the mixture into a smooth, thin layer of sugary delight.

I walked up and down the displays, admiring her work. Little cakes filled the first screen, each with its own elegantly carved chocolate flowers methodically placed in the corners. In another display, she had an assortment of truffles, drizzled individually with a rich raspberry coolie and white chocolate ganache.

"How could anyone possibly choose? Everything looks so delicious!" Markel exclaimed, pressing his face to one of the displays. 

I raised my eyebrows. "Have you never been to Lady Esmereldas before?"

He pushed away from the glass and jammed his hands in his pockets. "I'm too busy with the apothecary to venture outside," he shrugged.

"Well, you're in for quite a treat then. I'm almost certain I've sampled everything there is to try in here, and I can honestly say almost everything is delicious."

Markel pressed his hands on another glass display, drooling over its contents of chocolate dipped fruits. Esmerelda appeared out of nowhere and swatted him with her dish towel. Rubbing the fingerprints off the glass, she pointed with two fingers and shook her head at Markel. 

Markel's cheeks turned bright red. "My apologies, ma'am. It's just that everything looks so yummy!"

Lady Esmerelda waved her hand in the air, tapping her chin and then her elbow. I smiled and looked at her directly. It had been a while since the last time I'd been here and the few signs I did know I'd almost forgotten. I reviewed the motions quickly in my head before speaking.

"I'm sorry I'm a little rusty," I tapped my wrist and curved my hand into a fist, "can you read my lips?" I asked her. Markel gave me a funny look.

She nodded and spread her arm outward, gesturing for me to explain what I wanted.

I tapped my palm and pointed to Markel. "Would you do a reading for him? He's never been here before," I explained, pointing my finger at him. I spelled his name in the air for her as she watched the movements I made with my hands. "His name is Markel," I said out loud, more for Markel's benefit than for hers. 

Esmerelda nodded again, reaching across the counter for Markel's hand.

He shrank away from her reach, holding his hands protectively. "What does she want with my hands?" he eyed her strangely, waiting for an explanation.