Chapter 17

There were many long months in Nathan's life, but the month spent waiting for his pet project to move from Phase II to Phase III was grueling. He became obsessed with Bridget Dunn; he had his most trusted information technology employee hack and upload her Microsoft Outlook to his computer in order to monitor her correspondence. He tracked her sales records, Google-mapped her presentation locations and hotels, and when she was in the Algern building, he watched her via the security feed. Nathan was able to predict her every move because she was a creature of routine and because she configured all her meetings and errands into the Outlook calendar. Bridget's thirtieth birthday was nearly approaching, and her emails indicated that two friends planned to take her out to celebrate. It would be the perfect opportunity to complete Phase III and bring his new experiment to the cognitive research facility.

Back in the genetics laboratory, a beautiful monster formed in a rapid growth chamber. Two of the petri dishes that once contained masses of once useless cells morphed and divided into tissue, nerves, and bones. Of the three specimens, only one fully turned into a fetus; its first heartbeats signaled life, and it continued to grow in a warm, foreign womb. The remaining two dishes, stunted and stalled, were placed in an extermination unit and burned to ash. Within hours, six weeks of development had occurred inside the remaining petri dish, and the embryo developed a spine and arm and leg buds. The fetal period began forty-eight hours after the specimen's fertilization, presenting a fully formed baby with little fingernails and genitals. The tiny girl continued to evolve, and she kicked and moved about in her chemically-created uterus, her skin covered in vernix to protect her from the amniotic fluid. Fat deposits filled in under her cheeks after nearly a week; naturally, this process occurs in the seventh month of pregnancy.

When the infant reached full term status, she was cut from the makeshift uterus and moved to another chamber where a medically-induced coma sent her to Sleepyland for the rest of the gestation phase. She progressed into a toddler and then moved into middle childhood. Late childhood led to puberty and adolescence. Freddie, who carefully monitored his science project, took several photos of the creature when her body developed into that of a fifteen year-old. He sent the photos to Nathan as requested, hoping his boss would be pleased with the work's pace. Nathan was, in fact, extremely impressed with the lab technician's masterpiece. The digital images of the comatose redhead reminded him of his youth and what he once felt for Bridget. He did love her once, but her flighty and often emotional nature caused him to tire of her after some time. She was the best he could get at that point in his life, and looking back on those days helped him remember how pathetic he really was.

By week four, a thirty year-old facsimile of Bridget Dunn was complete. She was perfect in every way—not a single gene or chromosome was misplaced. Freddie was extremely proud of himself, and as he pulled her from the chamber, he admired her absolutely impeccable features. Long flaming tendrils curled to her mid-section, and the being's skin was fresh snow untouched by sun. Tiny freckles formed a small, unfamiliar constellation on her bare chest. She lay upon the hospital gurney in a dreamless sleep. The lab technician removed the latex glove from his right hand and put a finger to her cheek; he loved every one of his creations, but he never fell in love with one. The goddess before him, unconscious and exquisite, stole his heart. If ever there were a creator who fell in love with his work, Freddie was that artisan.

"How is she?" Nathan asked as he came up behind the lab geek. He craned over Freddie's shoulder to steal a glimpse of the gurney.

Freddie stepped aside, "Allow me to introduce Bridget II."

"Bridget II?" Nathan raised an eyebrow at his employee. He circled the sleeping beauty, grazing her skin with his fingers.

"Well, I thought it sounded better than 'BD14529,' sir," Freddie replied nervously. "She met all physical specifications and passed all tests in genetic development."