Chapter 6 - I Took The Road To Nowhere On My Own

I had been driving on the highway for a while, when my phone started to buzz. The first time I didn't even hear it, because the radio was on such a high volume, but eventually I picked it up.

'Stefani, where on earth are you?' I heard the panicky voice of Tara nearly scream.

Something I kind of forgot is how I was going to tell The Haus of Gaga that I left town only one day before I had to leave for Asia.

'I'm in the car,' I said carefully.

'Please tell me you're just heading for Starbucks and going straight back home after that.'

I took a deep breath. 'Kind of.'

'Stef, come on,' she said, knowing what I did. 'What has gotten to your head?'

'I couldn't sleep last night,' I said, still thinking of how I was going to break the deal without giving Tara an heart attack. 'John came over and was literally begging me to take him back, but I just couldn't and when I was lying in bed, it kind of got to me. Tara, I really need a break.'

I could literally hear her think. 'But you can't just, like, leave. Where are you?'

I ran my hand through my hair. 'I just started driving this morning and actually I have no clue where I'm going, but I just feel like I really need this.'

'Lord,' she said. 'How the fuck am I going to tell the Haus?'

I smiled. 'I really need to step out of all the craziness, but I promise when I come back, I'll have so much more to offer. I need to cleanse my body of the negative energy that's flowing through my veins. There's nothing going on in my brain and I have no inspiration anymore. When I'm feeling like this, I can't be on stage, because whenever I'm standing there, I need to be sure that I can give them the world.'

'I understand,' she said. 'But be carefully, you're a little woman and don't underestimate your status. Try to stay low and stay away from the crowds at all time.'

'Don't worry,' I said with a smile on my face. 'I'm a grown woman, I can take care of myself.'

'But you're small,' she said, 'and vulnerable.'

'I know, I know, but please, let me go this one time.'

'Okay, but don't forget who you are and please keep in touch with me, because the Haus is going to kill me when they get to hear about this.'

She started laughing. 'They'll just have to live with it. I love you, T.'

'Love you too. Have a safe trip.'

After I had hung up, I heard my  stomach rumble and it made me realize how hungry I actually was. Luckily I just passed a sign that read that a McDonald's was only half a mile away from me and I was totally craving a cheeseburger. I pulled over and found myself in a giant parking lot. It was a big rest stop with several restaurants. I had already parked my car in a parking spot when I realized that it wasn't such a great idea to pull over at a place that literally looked like an ant hill, because it was crowded with people. I felt anxiety rising up in me and stayed in my car for a while, debating whether to go inside or not. Eventually my hunger made me push past my fears and I got out of the car. I put on my mirrored Ray Ban sunglasses and prayed that nobody would recognize me. I had no clue how the people were going to react on me. I hoped no one would recognize me without my bold eyeliner and a crazy wig on my head, but as soon as I came closer to the building I saw heads tilting into my direction. I tried to act normal and put my hair in a ponytail, hoping it would distract them in some kind of way.