~Twelve~

"So, what is this thing?"

I sat with Wren, my shirt up showing off what K8E had called my 'bandage', the big nine over my previously broken rib. Apparently Wren was the medic of the group.

"Well, it's obviously C0d3 in origin," she began.

I'd already learned that C0d3 was the dimension that the T3chi35 were from.

"I'd never have guessed," I said dryly.

She swatted my arm playfully and continued.

"I'm willing to bet the shock reflex is do you don't take it off."

"Why is that?" I inquired.

"Considering the fact that it came from them, I'm willing to bet that, if it's removed, it'll stop healing. The T3chi35 are full of illusions like that."

"And what will happen if I leave it on?" I asked suspiciously. "There's gotta be a catch."

Wren thought this over. "They get the proper joy of murdering you completely, without the help of a broken rib?" Was all she could come up with.

"It doesn't seem like them to just..... let me heal," I persisted.

"Whatever. We'll take it off and bandage out rib the proper way. But I can't promise that it won't hurt," she decided.

I nodded.

I could tell removing the 'bandage' was hurting her, but she would never admit it, I knew that much.

When it was finally off, a searing pain shot upwards inside my chest. Wren, sensing this, acted as fast as she could.

Soon, my side was bandaged up like a teenaged mummy.

"Hopefully, that will do," Wren said, stepping back to admire her handiwork.

"Hopefully," I repeated weakly, as the intense pain from my cracked rib had finally caught up to me.

"After all, we can't have you falling apart at the seams while we're saving the dimensions and all that shit," she said, nudging me playfully.

I winced and she apologized immediately. "I'm sorry, Cyrus! I didn't realize-"

"It's fine," I assured her.

"Okay. I think you're good. Anything else hurt?"

"I can't tell."

She laughed slightly and began to poke around - my arms, my face, the rest of my mid-section, my legs - and nothing hurt.

"Okay, then. We're all good."

I nodded. This meant that we were one step closer to regaining balance in the dimensions.

And untying the knot of guilt in the pit of my stomach.

I was the reason that Sharpshoot was dead.

I was the reason that Arrow had to take on a leadership position that even he said he wasn't ready for.

I was the reason that Ginger was always nervous and constantly prepared to make a better portal.

I was the reason Little Ginger sat in the corner, given up on trying to encourage her.

I was the reason that Mosquito had barely spoken.

I was the reason that the team was in shards.

And, hey, let's not forget, I was the reason the Resistance was even formed in the first place.

And now everything was another step closer to being at least okay again.