Chapter Eleven

Kai

Jinara hurtled clear over the quarterdeck railing. She landed in a crouch on the main level, her wet leather boots sliding across the slick surface as if she were on ice. Then she leaped back to her feet and sprinted down the main deck toward Mariana.

Crewmen, soaked and battered, were picking themselves up and slowly surrounding their fallen savior. Jinara wove her way through the stunned crowd and dropped to the fallen girl's side. She placed one of her slender ears to Mariana's chest.

"She's not breathing," she said. "Fetch the medic!" Jinara pulled a tapered knife from a sheath hooked to her belt.

Towering were-beasts and ragged elves crowded closer around the first mate and Mariana. They looked down at her with awe, as if she were some goddess fallen from the sky.

Kai shoved through the soaked men, knelt down, and caught Jinara's hand before she cut Mariana's corset down the middle.

Jinara flashed her gaze at him. "The lacings make it harder to breathe," she explained, as if Kai was innocent to removing a woman's clothing.

Jinara yanked her arm back, but his grip held tight. Kai saw the confusion in her eyes. She wanted to help the woman who'd saved her ship—her home. Kai tensed his jaw and pulled Jinara closer to himself. He'd wanted to spare her the truth. No, spare himself the consequence the truth would have on their uneasy friendship.

"She doesn't breathe," Kai whispered, dark and low.

Jinara tore her hand away, still frantic in the moment of need to save Mariana. "What are you—" she began, but her words fell short as realization set in. Kai could see her work out the truth. His words sank in, and Jinara's innocent concern burned away.

"I need to get her below." Kai scooped Mariana up in his arms and stood.

Jinara remained kneeling on the ground, staring up at him as if he'd just pulled a poisoned blade from her back. Nothing he said in that moment would ease the sting. He needed to tend to Mariana, see that she was taken care of.

Kai turned, and the crewmen backed away, stumbling into each other. Their voices were a frightened sea of hushed whispers. He looked down to Mariana, her cheek resting against his shoulder. She seemed so frail and innocent, nothing worthy of fear. But when Kai looked back at the men around him, they all averted their eyes or turned away. Of course, it was him they were frightened of. He hadn't noticed the red glow lighting up Mariana's face. Heading toward the stairwell, he lowered his gaze, hiding the demon glow.

"Kai," Jinara snapped. The harshness of her voice assured him she was on her feet, ready for a fight, her hand on the pommel of her sword. She wanted answers, but this was not the time.

"I believe you have a ship to put in order," Kai replied. "I'll be in my cabin."

Kai strode across the deck, and the crewmen parted for him as he went. By the time he reached the stairs, Jinara was back to barking orders at the men who were unfortunate enough to still be standing around.

~ ~ ~

Kai sat at the foot of the bed, staring into a small polished mirror bolted to the wall. Red fire reflected back in his eyes. He watched the tainted glow fade with each calming breath. No wonder the men were frightened. They faced a true demon, a monster of the ocean, only to turn to see one of its long-lost kin standing beside them. The crew's suspicions of him were confirmed, undeniable. A Demonborn lurked aboard the Leaf.

Mariana lay motionless on the bed. She did not breathe, but she was not dead. She slept, silent and still. Kai was right, after all. Deryck had turned this girl for a reason. Soulless must have felt power hidden within her. But still, Kai would never expect that one young mage could ward off a true demon. Soulless must have known the depth of power that grew within her. Did she?