Chapter One

Mariana

In less than one hour at court the King's Guard arrested Mariana Starless. In less than one hour she nearly killed the crown's most loyal subjects. In less than one hour she burned down the royal crest in front of the king himself. In less than one hour at court Mariana Starless lost control of her magic and disgraced herself, her master, and the entire Starless clan.

Now she found herself in a lavish waiting room. Thick woven wool dyed a deep gray covered the cold floor. Tapestries hung along the walls, mocking her mistake with the royal crest—a burnt-orange crescent over a black field. A hearth crackled, warming the room with the spicy scent of southern wood. In spite of the beauty and comfort, this room was locked, windowless, and guarded. A decorated cell.

Mariana stood tall, facing the closed door and blinking away the burning behind her eyes. Her master had chosen her. He'd taught her how to use the magic within herself and had given her a purpose in life. Even in the face of this mistake she would prove she was worthy of the gift he'd given her. She was a woman grown, a member of the Day Guard, a sorceress in training. The tips of her fanged canines pressed hard into her lower lip. She was a vampire now. And vampires don't cry.

She felt him before the stomp of leather boots echoed down the hall. Mariana's back stiffened. She raised her chin and wiped any hint of shame from her face. He would want her to be fearless, even in the face of his wrath.

"Move aside," Deryck Starless's voice growled at the king's men who guarded her cell. Even through the heavy doors, the sound of his voice seemed to make the ground beneath her tremble.

The night-oak door swung open with such force that it slammed against the wall. Mariana's heart thumped hard in her chest, but her feet remained rooted to the ground. Her master scrutinized her from head to toe, pausing on the singed, white fabric of her sleeve and the soot on her face.

He let the moment sink in, waiting for her to break, to reveal her emotions. But Mariana stood strong, her jaw set and lips pressed into a calm line. She stared back defiantly. Standing her ground before the captain of the Day Guard was no easy task. Deryck's wide mouth lowered into a tight line along with a scowl written in lines on his brow. His pale skin seemed almost luminescent in contrast to his black tunic. Embroidered across his broad chest was a bright blue sun, the symbol of the Day Guard's oath.

Mariana lifted her gaze to stare him dead in the eye, and that was her downfall.

Deryck Starless, mentor, maker, master, watched her with those storm-blue eyes that she loved, and they did not shine with pride.

Her left hand twitched at her side, and she clenched it into a fist, but not before his gaze snapped to the movement.

Deryck took two intimidating strides toward her, and the door, untouched, slammed shut in his wake.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" His voice was cool and empty of emotion.

This was a test. Everything was. She wanted to fall to her knees and beg him to allow her to stay. Promise she would make him proud. Swear she was worthy of the name Starless and of her place among the Day Guard. But groveling was cowardice. The Day Guard was powerful, and those with power did not beg. Or apologize.

Mariana swallowed her fear and tilted her chin up a notch. "Did they put out the fire, Master?" she asked, as if she meant to set the castle's entrance hall ablaze.

Deryck narrowed his stormy gaze, and the muscles in his arms flexed. For a moment she thought he would strike her. He'd never hit her before, but she'd embarrassed not only herself, she'd embarrassed him. The Day Guard was the sworn protector of the young vampire kingdom, Lazerus. An elite group of vampire mages capable of Day Walking, they guarded the crown and city while the Death Sun walked the sky.