Chapter Two - Artist

I had a hard time falling asleep. It didn't help that Ashling was in the room right next to me. Like an idiot, I placed my ear to the wall in hopes to hear anything. There was complete silence. What was I expecting to hear?

Then the knock on the door startled me.

"Ephraim?"

Shit. She was at the door. I brushed my tousled hair down with my fingers and stared at the door.

"Ephraim, are you awake?"

"Uh yeah, hold on."

I slipped on my jeans over my boxers and opened the door.

"Hey."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

"Nah, it's okay. I couldn't sleep anyways."

There was complete silence and I didn't know what to say. She looked at me with those massive alluring eyes.

"I didn't take you for a quiet type."

"I'm not. I'm just thinking."

"About?"

Come on, Ephraim. Make something up. But nothing. Nothing popped in my head.

"I'll leave you alone, Ephraim."

She turned her body to leave, and I wanted to pull her back. Without thinking, I grabbed her arm. She looked at me, and I leaned down to her. I wanted to taste her and meet her lips.

But she pulled back, "What are you doing?"

I blinked and realized what the hell was I doing? "I'm sorry, I thought..."

"You thought by me knocking on your door late at night that I wanted something sexual from you? Oh God. You're like any other guy out there."

She pulled her arm out of my hands and stormed out of the house. I decided to follow her. I didn't want her to think I was like any "other guy."

She went deep into the woods when I found her. Her arms were crossed against her chest and she had her back towards me.

"Why are you following me, Ephraim?"

"Ashling, I wanted to apologize. I read everything wrong. I shouldn't have tried to kiss you."

"Do you know why I'm here?"

"Uh, I honestly don't know. I don't even know who you are?"

"My mom sent me here. She said my life isn't in Italy. I have no idea why I'm supposed to be here, but she said soon enough I would know."

"Italy? You're definitely far from home. But your mom sounds like my parents. They're forcing me into something I don't believe in."

"And what's that?"

"It's a family thing. Weird. You wouldn't understand." I was too embarrassed to tell her. Before I could provide her with a more in depth answer, we heard some rustling in the woods. My instinct was to protect her so my back was against her and my arms blocked what I could of her body. I smelled a familiar unwanted scent.

We saw a blonde hair vampire stand in front of us.

"Luca!" She screamed out his name and next thing I realize, she ran towards him and they embraced in a kiss.

I felt a sense of jealousy within me. She had a boyfriend. Of course. No wonder she wouldn't accept my kiss.

"Ashling, are you alright?"

"Of course, I'm fine. I've missed you."

She placed her head on his chest and he pulled her in closer. He finally looked up and saw me.