Chapter 2

Greg shot upright as he heard his front door slam open. He quickly listened for the voices of his friends, or anyone in general. But all he heard was the sound of scuffling and stuff being knocked off his shelves in the living room. On a burst of motivation, Greg silently snatched his phone off the charger and opened it as he crept to the bathroom. He shut and locked the door, leaving the light out. Sitting in the bathtub, his phone was dialing Morgan's.

    "Greg!" She answered, sounding happy. He could hear the others' voices immediately stop.

    "Morgan," he sniffed. His voice was barely above a whisper as he heard the footsteps make their way through his apartment.

    "Greg, what's wrong?" Morgan asked, her tone changing from happiness to worry.

    "There's someone in my apartment. I'm so scared--"

    "Greg~" a male voice sang loudly. Loud enough for it to go through the phone. Multiple gasps came from the other end, and Greg assumed he was on speaker. He could also hear someone banking on the bathroom door.

    "Help me guys! I'm sorry for everything I've ever done and I promise I'll be better after this just please save me--" his voice was cut off as the door was kicked open.

    "There you are Greg!" The shower curtain was yanked so hard it fell--right on Greg's head.

    "Sorry," the man chuckled, obviously not meaning it.

    "You motherf--" Greg started, but was punched in the mouth before he could finish. He yelled in pain as blood poured from his mouth. He could hear the team yelling through the phone, begging him to respond.

    "Morgan," he groaned.

    The strange man picked up the phone and held it to his ear, still looking at Greg. "Did you say Morgan?" He chuckled. Greg could hear voices, but couldn't make them out. His ears were ringing too loudly.

    "I need to . . . talk to Morgan . . ." Greg mumbled, though he couldn't really stop himself.

    "Awe," the man cooed, obviously enjoying this. Greg lived more than 30 minutes from the lab, and if the man knew that, he was going to take his time. "Who's Morgan?" He leaned closer to Greg, holding the phone out. "Your girlfriend?"

    'I wish,' thought Greg.

    "Wish all you want, Greggo. You're not gonna live long enough to ask her out now. You've had plenty of chances."

    Greg was horrified that he had said that out loud for maybe four seconds--the time it took for the man's other words to sink in.

    He managed to open his eyes just before he saw the man holding a baseball bat exactly like an MLB player standing, ready for a pitch.

    "Someone help!" Greg yelled weakly, holding his arms above his head. First, the man struck him in the side to get his hands down. Then, one hit right to the side of the head, and Greg was out like a light.

IN THE LAB

    Morgan covered her mouth as she heard Greg cry out in pain. She knew the others were taking it hard, but she simply stared at the phone. She remembered Nick barking orders to get people there on the spot, police sirens wailing. People literally ran through the halls, but Morgan was busy processing. He said he wished she was his girlfriend. He was in trouble. And she wasn't there for him.

    She should've been there. She should've went to check up on him after that happened. She should've--

    "Morgan," Sara's hand touched her shaking shoulder, snapping her out of it. "We need to go."

    Morgan only nodded and ran after Sara, practically flying through doors and down halls. She was breathing heavily by the time they reached the parking lot, but she hardly noticed. She was trying to get to him as fast as she could. To him. To the man who needed her the most right now. She hopped into the passenger seat, not trusting herself to drive the car. Sara climbed in the driver's seat, and Julie threw herself into the back. They were all sweating but Sara peeled off the curb like a professional racecar driver. Morgan knew she couldn't go any faster, but urged the car forward.

    All she wanted was for Greg to be okay.